Regency GCI60 what do you think?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schoondog

Feeling the Heat
Aug 17, 2008
dutchess county, n.y.
Hey all,
Thinking about upgrading the vunerable, yet still performing well US Stove to the Regency GCI60. Couple of questions. I have a 1200-1300 sf. home that is pretty well insulated and new windows. Think the 60 will be too big ?

Also I have a fire place that is even with the floor, and the girls I have spoke said the roller kit is extra. Are there no rollers under the machine ? I know there is a rail kit if you have a raised hearth, but they say I need a roller kit. True or false ?

Haven't really started to haggle over price yet, but she is quoting me $3,700 plus accessories. That sounding right ? Not finding many price quotes on line. May go to look at one Saturday morning with the better half, just to get the official okey dokey, and any and all comments and advise will be appreciated !!

Schoondog

I have the same stove, and a 2000 sf house. This thing is a beast and i love it.

My thinking at first is the stove is too big. But for that price, it is a good deal. You can get a smaller stove and be fine, but probably not for a whole lot less money. One thing to consider is that this stove is a multi fueler, and it will burn anything, including big box store cheapo pellets. It fears no pellet. If you got this stove, perhaps over a 3 or 4 years, it would be cheaper than a smaller one that is finicky about pellets.

You can live without the rail kit, and i suggest you manufacture your own. Mine sits on the floor, and i just heave that thing out with my son if i need to.

There is a smaller hampton Insert which might be better for you and a tad cheaper, but it isnt as pretty.

Just my 02

Thanks Cleetus. I want to stay with a multi fuel stove and the GCI60, Enviro M-55, and Quad Mt. Vernon AE are on the list. I like the agitator idea from the M-55 and GCI60 and shying away from the Quad and its cleaning cycles. The Regency is the best deal economically.

I still may play with the grass pellets and there is a local place selling corn again. I can install some wheels I think and I have a couple of big strong sons a phone call away. Going to check a couple of stoves in the next couple of weeks, play lets make a deal !!

Schoondog

Subscribed!! Looking forward to your ultimate decision. I love both of those stoves (even though they are the Same stove) ;)

Put it on a stat and she'll keep it at the set temp. Use the high/low during the cold auto/off shoulders.

Plus one on this. I have a remote stat, and i keep the part that attaches to stove adjacent to it in a lantern. Easy to change batteries.

First off take anything I say with a grain of salt, as I'm a newbie. Having said that I own a gci60 and love it. I really only burned it for a half season last year, and I'm still trying to get the hang of it. My house is slightly larger than yours and my stove is at the end of a L shaped ranch. From stove room to room furthest away there's about a 15-17 degree difference, which actually is good, I like my bedroom colder ( 80 in stove room, 63 bedroom) on settings 3-4. I've read plenty of times on this site, better to have a bigger one and not need it than to have a smaller one and need more. I paid 3400 which included rail kit, which I love. One thing to keep in mind though is you'll burn a couple bags a day. Same stove as m-55 and considerably cheaper. I say go for it

Hi Schoon, Think you would be very happy with that stove. As others said, its made by Sherwood Ind, who also makes the (Enviro) M55. Don't believe it would be too much stove, just run it at a lower setting if necessary. It is on a roller platform, and extension service rails are available for it. Most people don't need them, or make their own. Enviro makes stoves for other companies, Regency, Vistaflame and Hudson River stoves are all made by Enviro. Enjoy it, nice stove. Good luck.

Hi Schoon, Think you would be very happy with that stove. As others said, its made by Sherwood Ind, who also makes the (Enviro) M55. Don't believe it would be too much stove, just run it at a lower setting if necessary. It is on a roller platform, and extension service rails are available for it. Most people don't need them, or make their own. Enviro makes stoves for other companies, Regency, Vistaflame and Hudson River stoves are all made by Enviro. Enjoy it, nice stove. Good luck.

I'd expect Vistaflame and Hudson River to also come out with an M55 clone sooner or later.

Did a little shopping/looking today. Got a few questions answered (not many, I knew more than one of the salesman). Can someone answer this? Why is the Regency $900 cheaper than the M-55 if they are nearly the same stove?

Doggy

Can't answer directly, but.... I assume its something like the Drolet Eco 65 and Enerzone Euromax.

M55 MSRP is $4119, GC60 is $3999. There are some differences. Enviro has finish options( MSRP $4800), Regency does not. Regency let's anyone be a dealer; so you have to make sure your dealer is kinda legit. Regency has a different look. Some like it more. It more modern. Enviro castings are better quality. Who knows...kinda the same stove imho

Interesting. I got price of $3,450 today for the GCI60. Another shop 5 miles away gave me a price of $4,300 for the M-55 insert. I did not see the M-55, he will have to order it, 4 days away. The fellow at the Enviro store knew his stuff, still a salesman though. The people at the Regency store were for the most part clueless. I had another dealer tell me $3,700 for a 1 yr. old M-55 free standing that was enamel. Enviro salesman gave me a $4,700 MSRP today, Scott was the $4119 for the insert ? edit Both the stove I got prices for today are painted black.

Gonna fire up the 6039 tomorrow and think about it a little more. Don't really need a new stove, just trying to be a little proactive. I know the 6039 getting some miles on her and I don't want to have any major heating problems this winter while I am working on the other projects. I will need to install a new 4" liner and don't want to do it when there is snow on the roof.

Doggy

Put it on a stat and she'll keep it at the set temp. Use the high/low during the cold auto/off shoulders.
Thanks J. and Cleetus. I asked the salesman (kid) about the thermostat supplied with the I60, would the unit shutdown and restart or just go down to an idle. He didn't have an answer.

Doggy

The unit has full auto on/off or high/low

Inserts are $4119 m55 and $3999 gc60
FS $3799 and $3649

And manual which lets the user control the stove as well.

What no discount for the members? :p

Prolly should have PM him prices, Site owner gets a lil peeved if he thinks your advertising. Shhh, I won't tell!

Sorry...
And manual which lets the user control the stove as well.

What no discount for the members? :p

Prolly should have PM him prices, Site owner gets a lil peeved if he thinks your advertising. Shhh, I won't tell!
those aren't my prices and I wasn't sending the prices to offer a sale...just stating the MSRP of each. I don't sell the regency either

Scott, Thanks much. Don't get in trouble. I appreciate your help. I am having problems finding the true MSRP. Didn't find them on either of the websites. Not many if any dealer advertising them either. I am looking for a deal of course, part of the deal is having the truth from the people your dealing with ! Where did the Enviro dealer come up with $4,700 ? Must be BS, inflating his numbers, how is there such a spread for virtually the same stove ? Manufacturers should post the MSRP. Wish the dude down the road who sells Quads also sold Enviros or Regency. Just can't fully warm up to the Mt. Vernon.

Schoondog

Manufacturers should post the MSRP.
Schoondog

Harmon has them listed on the website. I wish they all would. But even if they did the dealers can still charge more depending on local. Just like cars a dealer will try to get max dollar on them. You could go in with an offer. All he can say is "yes or no".

I don't think scott will get in trouble listing MSRP's. You could always take a road trip up to see him and get the M55. Something tells me he's honest and under MSRP. >>

Hey all,
Thinking about upgrading the vunerable, yet still performing well US Stove to the Regency GCI60. Couple of questions. I have a 1200-1300 sf. home that is pretty well insulated and new windows. Think the 60 will be too big ?

Schoondog

I have a 1400 sq. ft ranch, and after adding more insulation, I have come to the conclusion my P68 is too big for my house. I realize your btu's are less, but your house is smaller too. It gets to temperature so quickly that it is always cycling down. I try to run it in stove temp mode, but unless it's really cold, the house gets too hot. Running it in room temp especially at the beginning and end of the season results in creosote. We haven't had a string of really really cold days the past couple of winters, and if we did, maybe I would see the benefit of an oversized stove.

I have a 1400 sq. ft ranch, and after adding more insulation, I have come to the conclusion my P68 is too big for my house. I realize your btu's are less, but your house is smaller too. It gets to temperature so quickly that it is always cycling down. I try to run it in stove temp mode, but unless it's really cold, the house gets too hot. Running it in room temp especially at the beginning and end of the season results in creosote. We haven't had a string of really really cold days the past couple of winters, and if we did, maybe I would see the benefit of an oversized stove.

The M55 is in-between the P43 and P68. If he runs it on auto/off during the warmer weather with a stat that has a swing setting it should be fine. The stove will shutdown and not burn on low for more than 30 minutes. Once the cold nights set in them switch it to high/low mode. It will cruise on low until it needs heat an switch to high fire as needed.

Low fire on these(Sherwood Ind's multifuelers) units do very well and use very little pellets(Like 1.2 pounds per hour = <10K BTU's), Yet they don't soot/creosote up like some of the other stove. My Omega runs for most of the day/night on low. I have only notice a small amount of creosote on the burnpot. It burns off once the stove goes to high fire. And unlike the Harman I can adjust this with a less dense cheap pellet which even feeds less to the fire.

In your case the P43 would make me wonder if its too small if we get a cold snap. You might need to use some of the back heating system. Have you tried just letting the P68 go out and restart during the warmer part of the season? Cheaper to replace a few igniters than swap out the whole stove?

The M55 is in-between the P43 and P68. If he runs it on auto/off during the warmer weather with a stat that has a swing setting it should be fine. The stove will shutdown and not burn on low for more than 30 minutes. Once the cold nights set in them switch it to high/low mode. It will cruise on low until it needs heat an switch to high fire as needed.

Low fire on these(Sherwood Ind's multifuelers) units do very well and use very little pellets(Like 1.2 pounds per hour = <10K BTU's), Yet they don't soot/creosote up like some of the other stove. My Omega runs for most of the day/night on low. I have only notice a small amount of creosote on the burnpot. It burns off once the stove goes to high fire. And unlike the Harman I can adjust this with a less dense cheap pellet which even feeds less to the fire.

In your case the P43 would make me wonder if its too small if we get a cold snap. You might need to use some of the back heating system. Have you tried just letting the P68 go out and restart during the warmer part of the season? Cheaper to replace a few igniters than swap out the whole stove?

Yes, I have let it just go out. Believe me, I don't plan on getting a new stove until this one gets to be more trouble than it's worth. I just wish I had done the insulation first and the stove second! I know this is sick, but I want a few 0 degree days (or below) in a row this winter to see how the stove does.

Yes, I have let it just go out. Believe me, I don't plan on getting a new stove until this one gets to be more trouble than it's worth. I just wish I had done the insulation first and the stove second! I know this is sick, but I want a few 0 degree days (or below) in a row this winter to see how the stove does.
We might get some if you go by what the farmers almanac is saying.

Have you tried a few low density cheap pellets in the shoulders? Maybe a long shot(Harmans computer adjusts to exhaust temps) But maybe you can lower the amount of fuel feed and clean up the low fire burn? Worth a shot to try a couple a bags for giggles. The NY plant Green Supremes(HD- Lowes has them) or the MWP(TSC has them). might be worth trying this fall on the warmer days?

Thanks again newf and J. I think I'm satisfied with the size and t-stat now I've heard about them and read the owners manual. I will probably use both modes depending on outside air temps. I insulated the house just before I installed the stove, and windows were installed a few years before that. Still a old inexpensive house that leaks a little and has a small doggy door. One of my projects is an addition which will add another 275 sq.ft. to be heated, and its the furthest area from the stove. The 6039 has a little problem keeping up when its 0 or below ( I rarely run it on more than 5 or 6 though)

Doggy

Status
Not open for further replies.