Regency I2400

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokeless

Oct 20, 2008
Northeast CT
Hello Hearth Folks!!!

Been a lurker for the past few months, since getting my Regency I2400 installed with a full SS liner at the end of July. I always wanted to be a wood burner but "back then" it would have been a luxury. Now it's time, let the oil baron's keep their fossil fuels, let them swim in it.

I bought 3 cords "seasoned" hardwood C/S/D (before insert was installed but in July...). I also purchased 3 pallets of BioBricks...

I have a 1400sf one level ranch. Regency is installed in external brick fireplace at end of the living room/dining/kitchen area. There is a small bedroom and bathroom off of that, then a short hall to another bedroom and a bit more to a "master" bath and a large cathedral ceiling TV room (supposed to be "master bedroom"). The house is kind of like a "T" with the later going towards the back, away from the fireplace.

Since reading these forums, I might have done a few things different... Regency I3100, block off plate and SS chimney insulation?

Been experimenting with the wood and the BioBricks. Wood does not seem to be dry enough (note to self: get wood moisture meter). The BioBricks are great and I was able to get a nice secondary burn going with them last night (about 15 bricks). Northern Lights with no apparent flame on the bricks but they slowly charred. It was dark out, but I assume I was burning "Smokeless".

Prior to purchasing the I2400 I received lots of advice about not buying too big (2 dealers) and my buddy claimed his Regency I1200 cooks him out of his small Cape.

I have an oil forced hot air heating system. I can manually turn on the blower (without firing up the furnace). For now it's too late to go with the I3100, I haven't made a block off plate yet (do you always need that?) and the SS liner is installed with the base of the cap sealed to the chimney's liner.

I am becoming addicted to burning (until mid January with the snow drifts?). I might go for a stand alone in the cathedral ceiling room to warm the other end of the house, but not this year (since I just spent a lot of money on this) and I guess the house really is not that big to begin with. I just don’t want any frozen pipes in the back master bath…

What really kills me is I scored a free extra large VC Dutchwest from a friends house (he went pellet) a year ago. We busted a leg setting her down in my garage. Long story short, she fell over and cracked the back badly. Not knowing any better I sledge hammered it and off to the metal recycle plant it went. It made me literally nauseous.

Anyway, I’m glad to be here and am trying to suck up all your great info like a sponge! Nothing like learning from people that have been there done that.

My intent is to heat my home 100% with wood (cord,bricks)... Am I missing anything to pull off this job??? Will the I2400 be big enough?

Have I bored everyone already???

Welcome. The I2400 is a good insert and several folks heat their homes in the northeast with one or the Hampton equivalent. I'd add a blockoff plate, there's no sense in heating any more of the outdoors than you have to . Ranches can be a challenge to heat but a lot of folks are successful with a table (or box) fan placed on the floor in the cold hallway or room and blowing air (on low speed) towards the stove.

I recently purchased an I3100 and am happy with the heat, but the insert burns through wood very rapidly. The spec says up to 10 hr burn, but I'm lucky to get 4 hr even with the internal damper completely closed (still burns strong). I noticed in your posting that you mentioned a "block off plate". What is that and will it help me dampen the fire down more than just the internal damper? Thanks.

The Regency I2400 and I3100 have the same BTU output (75,000 BTU/per hour??) according to the manufactures specification. That said, I assume the only difference between those 2 inserts would be the burn times right (because of the larger firebox in the I3100)?

Am I correct here? Burning both of them in similar houses - do the I3100 heat more than the I2400?

Thanks, Joe

I started burning last week (in my I2400, with wood bought "seasoned" in June-ish). It's definitely not dry enough. So maybe rely more on the biobricks for as long as possible.

(My third fire, which I started with a quarter of a cedar starter, went out after about 20 minutes.. I think the previous fires, with a half-puck starter, had the moisture driven out sufficiently by the starter to light well... I can see the logs steaming when it's starting up... that can't be good.)

Anyway, even with that, it got hot enough to nicely heat the 24x24x14' room it's located in. I'm going to try some supermarket wood (or maybe supermarket bricks) this weekend and see if that makes everything better...

My dad had a I2400 installed in late summer in his open rec room in the basement and so far its been putting out lots of heat.The rec room is maybe 800 sqft of open space with an air temp of 75 to 80 when the stove is cooking.With the door open to the above living area open not too much heat rises here to make that much a difference,but thats ok with dad since he spends alot of his time in the rec room.Mom who used to spend little time in the rec room now spends alot of time there and says she loves the heat.
PS! I dont know what kind of burn times he is getting!but from what ive seen and what he says!the wood takes a good slow burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.