Regency i3100 insert cracks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JMase

Jun 6, 2023
Connecticut
Need some advice. My regency I 3100 was replaced in 2015 under warranty do to damage inside the firebox. Now in 2023 I have a few cracks and Regency denied my claim because you are only allowed one warranty claim replacement. Can this be welded or repaired? It’s right behind the holes on front of stove, regency said that’s part of the air wash system.

IMG_8635.jpeg IMG_8639.jpeg IMG_8637.jpeg

I'm not sure a weld will take there but it might be possible to bolt a plate that covers the crack.

Is there a liner on this insert? If so, how tall is it?

The stove is likely overfiring. The Regency is an easy breather and works well on a short chimney. On a tall one it needs a damper above the flue collar. There is a detailed thread on this problem and one solution. I'll see if I can find it.

A thermometer on the face of the insert above the door would help track stove temp.

Are you able to tell by photos where this crack is, hard to explain. Would you still burn with these cracks? I obviously do not want to buy another stove.

The cracks will get worse until further damage occurs. In the least, I would bolt a stainless plate across them to extend the life of the stove.

Here is the thread I referred to earlier.

Also that area is bowed out so it’s not flat. Not sure if a plate over it will work. I’m not sure if sealing the cracks some how is an option. Is the stove unsafe to burn you think?

The cracks will get worse until further damage occurs. In the least, I would bolt a stainless plate across them to extend the life of the stove.

Here is the thread I referred to earlier.
I saw that post, my cracks are not in that spot, they are inside on the top just inside the door

I saw that post, my cracks are not in that spot, they are inside on the top just inside the door
Correct, though I think the overfire condition is the same.
Also that area is bowed out so it’s not flat. Not sure if a plate over it will work. I’m not sure if sealing the cracks some how is an option. Is the stove unsafe to burn you think?
I was thinking a strip of stainless, maybe 22ga. not plate steel. You could try cleaning things up and apply JB-Weld's ultra high temp epoxy under the stainless patch.
It's not dangerous to burn in at this stage, but as those cracks open up it will start concentrating the heat more forward on the door area which could warp it. A good patch might buy 2-3 seasons if the stove is run at a lower temp.

Yes that is a common place for cracking due to over firing I have fixed a few by cutting out the bowed section and bolting plate steel bent to fit over the area. But the over draft needs to be fixed or it will just happen again

Reactions: begreen
I can't really tell but is that piece removable? Looks like its part of the stove body from the pic/video. I don't see why a weld wouldn't hold?

I’d put a straight edge across the upper sealing surface for the loading door gasket.
Looked like that area needs confirmation that it’s not distorted.
Maybe it’s just the video ?