Regency l3100 Cracks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

davidmsem

Minister of Fire
Oct 30, 2014
New haven, Connecticut
Hello, this is a 7-year-old regency l3100. We are the original owners and had this installed in December of 2014. I cannot locate the receipt, and the ID tag is not visible in terms of the serial number. I've seen one or two other posts about this and wondering how people think this will play out when the dealer contacts regency. It is always run with the fan on so a little disappointed that this unit did not last longer.

If I'm not able to get a warranty claim, any thoughts on what to do? Drill holes to stop the cracks from propagating? I don't do any welding I'm wondering if welding would be an option, but it might make the surface uneven where the door closes.

Not exactly happy and wondering what outcomes people have experienced.

Always appreciate the help here.

Screenshot_20220226-080825_Gallery.jpg20220225_170707.jpg

If someone was to weld that they'd grind most of the crack out and then fill the void back in with weld...then grind back flat as needed.
If Regency is not willing to do anything about it (not likely at 7 YO, just my opinion) I'd at least drill a hole just beyond the root of the crack to stop it...at that point repairing it really would not be terribly important, unless it affects the fire (not likely in my experience)
The drilled hole and crack could be filled with black furnace cement too...that repair will probably not last forever, but a tube of furnace cement would be enough to do that repair many more times than you'd probably be willing to do it...

If someone was to weld that they'd grind most of the crack out and then fill the void back in with weld...then grind back flat as needed.
If Regency is not willing to do anything about it (not likely at 7 YO, just my opinion) I'd at least drill a hole just beyond the root of the crack to stop it...at that point repairing it really would not be terribly important, unless it affects the fire (not likely in my experience)
The drilled hole and crack could be filled with black furnace cement too...that repair will probably not last forever, but a tube of furnace cement would be enough to do that repair many more times than you'd probably be willing to do it...
Thank you. This is helpful. It seems like you are saying regency will not do anything at this point in time. I was thinking about drilling a hole but will wait until I hear from regency. I wouldn't mind repairing it with the furnace cement and repeating it if I needed to. I'm just wondering if I need to trash the unit with these two visible cracks. Just wondering what I'm in for that's all. Very much appreciate the input.

My i2400 had a similar issue and it was at least that many years old at the time. Regency replaced it and I think I just had to take a few pictures and send them to the dealer. This was a few years ago now (well before the current supply chain issues) but I had a new stove relatively quickly.

My i2400 had a similar issue and it was at least that many years old at the time. Regency replaced it and I think I just had to take a few pictures and send them to the dealer. This was a few years ago now (well before the current supply chain issues) but I had a new stove relatively quick

My i2400 had a similar issue and it was at least that many years old at the time. Regency replaced it and I think I just had to take a few pictures and send them to the dealer. This was a few years ago now (well before the current supply chain issues) but I had a new stove relatively quickly.
Thank you very much for the reply. Did you have to have your receipt? I have my original paperwork and pictures of it being installed by the dealer in 2014 but I do not have my receipt after looking high and low. Wondering if this is going to be an issue for me. Typically I'm very good about registering warranties and stuff but it must have dropped the ball on this one.

Yeah I don't know what they will do, its probably still worth contacting them to see...then drill it once (if) they say you are on your own.
I did have very similar cracks welded up on a Drolet furnace before I sold it (myself, I just ran it cracked)
I am still in contact with the owner and he says its been fine...been probably 3-4 winters now. I had it welded up by a retired fellow that welded cracks on high pressure steam lines for a living...I figured if he couldn't fix it, no one can!

Last edited:
I think I did have my receipt but I know the dealer did also. (I don't think it will matter, but I just went through my thread history and mine was only a few years old when it happened.)

I had good luck with Regency as well. Have to go through the dealer, for sure. At this point, I forget if I had to pay to install.

I wonder if it had something to do with the door latch? Cranking down on it too hard, or whatever.

Very frustrating indeed and if you cannot not get any answer from Regency which I doubt after seven years of use then the only option you would have is to try to repair it...So sorry you had this problem but it seems that a few other people had this problem and I am wondering if cracks appear often and why would this be--is the fire too hot--not experience here but just wondering..Hoping the dealers of Regency contacts you with good information about what to do next..Wait it out and keep bugging them and find out the rules of the game and in this day and age because of all the shipping problems this might take some time..Wish you success with this major problem..clancey

Reactions: davidmsem
Hello, this is a 7-year-old regency l3100. We are the original owners and had this installed in December of 2014. I cannot locate the receipt, and the ID tag is not visible in terms of the serial number. I've seen one or two other posts about this and wondering how people think this will play out when the dealer contacts regency. It is always run with the fan on so a little disappointed that this unit did not last longer.

If I'm not able to get a warranty claim, any thoughts on what to do? Drill holes to stop the cracks from propagating? I don't do any welding I'm wondering if welding would be an option, but it might make the surface uneven where the door closes.

Not exactly happy and wondering what outcomes people have experienced.

Always appreciate the help here.

View attachment 292713View attachment 292714
If we had sold it to you we would have a record of all of the data needed along with a pic of the ul tag so warranty would be honored. It is really going to depend upon your dealer at this point. If they have the right info for regency then regency will honor the warranty.

Then there is the problem that they really don't have a comperable stove to replace the 3100 with

I thought Regency stoves have a lifetime warranty.

They are you just need to be the original owner and have the proper info
I am the original owner but I do not have the receipt. The company I purchased it from was sold and the new owners have no record of the sale. I do have pictures of it being installed and the owner's manual and the like but that is it.

I am the original owner but I do not have the receipt. The company I purchased it from was sold and the new owners have no record of the sale. I do have pictures of it being installed and the owner's manual and the like but that is it.
And the ul tag can't be read?

Drill a small hole at the end of the crack for now. Getting it welded shouldn't cost a lot.

Well try with regency first

Well try with regency first
The dealer expected the serial number tagged to be not visible. Let's see what they have to say. It'll be very disappointing if they don't stand behind it.

The dealer expected the serial number tagged to be not visible. Let's see what they have to say. It'll be very disappointing if they don't stand behind it.
Yes but that is your dealers fault for not recording it

Went I bought my osburn in June I registered it with osburn and took a picture of the back tag and wrote down serial# in the owners manual as well.

I thought Regency stoves have a lifetime warranty.
They are you just need to be the original owner and have the proper info
Without a serial number I doubt they will honor the warranty
What's the big deal with having a serial number anyways? I get it on something complicated like a car, that may have mid year changes, but with something simple like a stove...I mean its pretty obvious what make n model it is...and there is a build date showing, so why is a serial number really needed? (other than its their policy or something)
Is this one of those "lifetime" warranty's that doesn't amount to much of anything after about the first 2-3 years?

What's the big deal with having a serial number anyways? I get it on something complicated like a car, that may have mid year changes, but with something simple like a stove...I mean its pretty obvious what make n model it is...and there is a build date showing, so why is a serial number really needed? (other than its their policy or something)
Is this one of those "lifetime" warranty's that doesn't amount to much of anything after about the first 2-3 years?
They really are good about honoring their warranty if you have all the info

Went I bought my osburn in June I registered it with osburn and took a picture of the back tag and wrote down serial# in the owners manual as well.

I do the same. Take a (few) pic(s), and email it to myself with all other info written in the email that I might (never) need. I have one (Gmail) label for all these things.

Reactions: marty319
Part of the problem was the previous owner of the business was going belly up and was bought out. So I kind of caught in the middle of all of this. Find out more tomorrow morning when I call them.