Regency I3100L Parts Available - What to do with these?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

davidmsem

Minister of Fire
Oct 30, 2014
New haven, Connecticut
Thinking my regency I3100L was going to last me many many years, I provisioned extra parts. I have a blower, a set of bricks, the screen to use when you wanted to run it opened that my wife had to have and never used,and a rope seal for the glass. All brand new.

Any ideas on where someone might list these for sale and how much to ask? It's this or in a landfill. What a shame.

David

20220302_103750.jpg 20220302_103824.jpg 20220302_103917.jpg 20220302_104144.jpg 20220302_103939.jpg

Are there other issues than the minor face cracks? If not, then why not just invest $150 to extend its life another 10 yrs.?

You can just have it welded I bought one cheap from a second owner that was cracked. I welded it and it has held up well for years.

Are there other issues than the minor face cracks? If not, then why not just invest $150 to extend its life another 10 yrs.?
Two welders who have good reputations in the area both commented that they would not waste the time because it doesn't hold up in their experience.

Only other issue that I know of is that there is a very loud tin canning that was never there before. And also some additional smoke smell when we light a fire. Makes me think there are cracks in this unit beyond what is visible up front.

You can just have it welded I bought one cheap from a second owner that was cracked. I welded it and it has held up well for years.
Appreciate it. I have two welders I've talked to that would not do it saying it just doesn't hold up. Additionally there are some tin canning and smoke smell in the room when we light a fire that was never there before.

Appreciate it. I have two welders I've talked to that would not do it saying it just doesn't hold up. Additionally there are some tin canning and smoke smell in the room when we light a fire that was never there before.
Examine the secondary manifold carefully for broken welds.

The 33' flue is a clue of what happened. It could be the stove has been overfiring for a while. I would also have a very thorough inspection of the liner. It is possible that it has been running at a very high continuous temperature. If so, it will need replacement too.

The draft may be so strong that it will be out of spec for most stoves. If so, clever fitment of a damper may be needed to tame it.

Examine the secondary manifold carefully for broken welds.

The 33' flue is a clue of what happened. It could be the stove has been overfiring for a while. I would also have a very thorough inspection of the liner. It is possible that it has been running at a very high continuous temperature. If so, it will need replacement too.

The draft may be so strong that it will be out of spec for most stoves. If so, clever fitment of a damper may be needed to tame it.
Yes it's probably more like 28-29 ft. It's just a typical two-story colonial. Nothing too special.

I've got a gun I checked the temperature often. It hasn't been crazy at all. And the fan gets to run high when it gets hotter to pull heat out and protect the unit.

David

Yes it's probably more like 28-29 ft. It's just a typical two-story colonial. Nothing too special.

I've got a gun I checked the temperature often. It hasn't been crazy at all. And the fan gets to run high when it gets hotter to pull heat out and protect the unit.

David
Running the fan on high cools parts of the unit but other parts remain to hot leading to stress in the metal causing cracks. Inserts on tall chimneys are problematic and the installer needs to be a bit creative

Running the fan on high cools parts of the unit but other parts remain to hot leading to stress in the metal causing cracks. Inserts on tall chimneys are problematic and the installer needs to be a bit creative
The engineeri inme believes that sounds suspicious. They have a high setting on the unit for a reason. If they were concerned about the furnace cracking with the fan on high why would they provide a high setting?

The engineeri inme believes that sounds suspicious. They have a high setting on the unit for a reason. If they were concerned about the furnace cracking with the fan on high why would they provide a high setting?
I am not saying running the fan on high in general is a bad thing. Just that doing so to control over temp situations can actually cause more stress

I am not saying running the fan on high in general is a bad thing. Just that doing so to control over temp situations can actually cause more stress
Well I wasn't running the band to prevent overtime. I was running it higher when I had hotter fires which is what I thought you're supposed to do when you have a hotter fire and the whole purpose for having a high switch on the fan. It's pointing stressful situation. See what happens with regency.

Well I wasn't running the band to prevent overtime. I was running it higher when I had hotter fires which is what I thought you're supposed to do when you have a hotter fire and the whole purpose for having a high switch on the fan. It's pointing stressful situation. See what happens with regency.
Hotter is one thing. Too hot is a completely different thing. I don't know if that was the issue but I know if I installed it I would have done something to control the excessive draft. What were the high temps that you saw and where was that measured?

Two welders who have good reputations in the area both commented that they would not waste the time because it doesn't hold up in their experience.
Sounds like you just need to talk with someone that has more experience then...or a little more motivated.
As I mentioned in the other thread, I had a Drolet furnace welded up 3-4 years back and its still fine.
Like these guys have mentioned though, you need to make sure there aren't other more major issues with the stove first...I'd be really surprised if your not over-drafting on a chimney that tall...I have a 27' chimney and it pulls like a freight train when it gets really cold...to the point of my 1 barometric damper almost not being enough, (Kuuma furnace installed in a basement) and that's with an appliance that tends to run relatively low flue temps.

Sounds like you just need to talk with someone that has more experience then...or a little more motivated.
As I mentioned in the other thread, I had a Drolet furnace welded up 3-4 years back and its still fine.
Like these guys have mentioned though, you need to make sure there aren't other more major issues with the stove first...I'd be really surprised if your not over-drafting on a chimney that tall...I have a 27' chimney and it pulls like a freight train when it gets really cold...to the point of my 1 barometric damper almost not being enough, (Kuuma furnace installed in a basement) and that's with an appliance that tends to run relatively low flue temps.
Thanks. Really just don't know if I should even bother burning anymore after this. Thank you.

Thanks. Really just don't know if I should even bother burning anymore after this. Thank you.
We can help you work out the issues if that is what you want. And if anything I said came off as blaming you for the issue I apologize. The dealer/installer didn't give you the proper tools to be successful that certainly isn't your fault

Reactions: brenndatomu
The (pumice?) firebrick is mostly standard-sized and should work in other stoves. The blower should have a good value on eBay, craigslist, or put it in the Hearth.com classifieds forum. The screen is custom fit to the stove. Most people use them once or twice and then never again, but someone would probably buy it for the right price.

Reactions: davidmsem
The (pumice?) firebrick is mostly standard-sized and should work in other stoves. The blower should have a good value on eBay, craigslist, or put it in the Hearth.com classifieds forum. The screen is custom fit to the stove. Most people use them once or twice and then never again, but someone would probably buy it for the right price.
Thanks! Yup, my wife had to have the screen. Used it once. $300. Lol.