Regency insert insulation question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

matlocc

Jan 22, 2015
michigan
I have an older regency insert that I fit into an existing fireplace. I ran a SS pipe up the existing chimney. I then put a surround in front to cover the opening. It has been working well.
I am now wondering if I should place some rockwool on the top of the stove behind the surround to hold some of the heat in the stove and not send it up the chimney.
Any thoughts on this?

Yes. In fact, search for "block off plate" on this forum - i.e. a metal plate closing the hole. Preferably with rockwool on top.

Did you have the existing chimney cleaned (thoroughly) before you ran the liner?

This is a useful page :

Is the chimney interior or exterior? I’d probably insulate if it’s an exterior chimney. Blockoff plate saves lots of heat either way.

Evan

Last edited:
Interior, I do not have a block off plate. I thought insulation on top of the firebox on the outside would give more heat from the fans. I don't have draft problems.

Install a block off plate. Put roxul above it. It makes a huge difference. You don't lose any heat up the chimney. I'd also pull the cap on the top of the chimney and pack roxul around your chimney liner. Like the earlier mention, search for block off plate on the forum. It's worth your time. If you click on my name, you should be able to access my old posts. I have an old install thread with pics of how I did mine.

It's not recommended to insulate on top of an insert due to concerns of overheating. A block-off plate is a safer bet.

Reactions: stoveliker