Regency R14 Wood Insert installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fph9999

Mar 10, 2010
bc
My friend bought a house and gave me his Regency R14 wood insert. It is in good shape although I would need to add a coat of paint before I would install it.

After reading the forum and other websites about wood burning inserts, I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer to help me assess if I should even pursue installing the insert.

a) I have a trim kit but would it pass WETT certification if I chose not to use the trim kit. I want to push the insert as deep into the fireplace as possible while maintaining clearances. This way, I don't have to make a dramatic change to my hearth extention. Is there any drawback or violate installation to do this?

b) My brick chimney is located on the exterior of the house. The chimney only runs about 15' from the base of the chimney. I presently have stuffed my current fireplace with insulation as there is a strong cold draft during the winter. From what I have read, I may have draft issues. Given this condition, should I still pursue installing the wood insert? Would adding a 3' or 6' flue extension help to eliminate the cold draft problem?

Any advise would be recommended.

doesn't want his Regency R14 insert and I can

Welcome to the forum. The insert should be ok without the surround as long as it is connected to a full liner. Make that a full, insulated liner for the exterior chimney. Moving it back further into the fireplace will increase the dependency on the insert fan and the need to also install a damper block off plate, perhaps as low as the lintel of the fireplace, so that the heat remains in the house.

I'd try running it with the insulated liner at 15' before adding pipe. It might work just fine.

Hey I just installed my R14 back in December. I painted it with stove bright....turned out great. Burn the paint job in outside if you can before bringing it in to install. I have been impressed with the performance..better than i expected....it really throws the heat. Def. put a full insulated liner in with a block off plate. any other questions would be happy to help out...just PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.