Regency stove glass black marks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Whether there is flame depends on how much air is fed to the stove. The cat being on or off has no direct influence in that: (in my stove...) I can have flame easily if I just turn it up higher, regardless of whether the cat is engaged.

Now there is a secondary effect that the cat will increase the impedance of the airflow through the stove, and thus *at the same air setting*, engaging the cat will decrease the total flow a bit, which, if one were just above the point of disappearance of the flames, might result in the disappearance of the flame.
Great, thanks. Getting info from multiple sources like this is so helpful.

yeah the CAT effectively is reducing the amount of air up the flue. If you notice, as soon as you engage it your flames will drop. Generally, my secondary flames go for well over an hour, but there is a point where they will go away.

Reactions: fussen