Reinstalling a LOPI fl

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tinman3913

Nov 22, 2023
Michigan, U.S.A.
So I just bought my house from my Mom’s estate after her passing. She had been in the home for 30 years.
I noticed some rust accumulation on the top of the insert near the top flange so I decided to pull the panels to investigate. Apparently whoever originally crowned the chimney didn’t leave a caulkable expansion joint between the mud and the clay liner so it cracked, leaked and rusted out the entire top of the inserts firebox. I cut it all out and tabbed up a replacement, got it welded in and painted . I’ve got a flex liner ordered and on its way. My issue is with the “floor” of the masonry hearth. It seems to just be 4 stacks of bricks grouted together like the intent was to install an insert from the get go. Which makes sense to me as is a 1982 LOPI FL and the hose is 40 years old. Is this kosher or no? I appreciate any and all opinions and advice. 20231214_213047_Original.jpeg 20231214_214849_Original.jpeg 20231214_214923_Original.jpeg 20231214_214929_Original.jpeg 20231214_215008_Original.jpeg

It looks like the fireplace was deconstructed to fit the insert. There is no telling how much protection is left to combustibles without on site probing and inspection.

That was my initial thought as well. The thing that steers me away from that train of thought is that I found the original paperwork for the insert and it was purchased and installed the same year the home was originally built.

Sorry if I seem like I’m asking a question and then dismissing the response, I’m really not trying to be that guy. I’m just trying to make sure all relevant information is provided.

And I absolutely appreciate your taking time to provide your. input.

If it can be determined that there is at least 8" of masonry surrounding the insert it should be ok. The insert should be connected to an insulated, full-length, stainless liner.

It will need 10" of solid masonry because it's not lined with firebrick

Reactions: begreen