Rejecting clearance guidelines in 100% non-combustible space?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

andrewbirk

Oct 14, 2020
Girona, Spain
Hi all!

IMG-6733_blogedit.jpg

I am hoping to install a cast-iron wood stove in the highlighted corner of what will be an art studio/ gallery space in the Girona area of Cataluña, Spain. Winters are not super cold here, but it is humid and windy and temperatures flirt with the idea freezing for a handful of months a year. I am more interested in using the stove as a heater during work hours, something to take a break and warm up eating lunch next to during the cold months, and there is a forest behind the space full of fuel.

Either way, I am looking at a few models but like the Invicta Remilly (a very inexpensive, small, basic cast-iron made in France), as far as options at the bottom price point go.

All of the stoves weve looked at around here recommend 60cm to 90cm (2 to 3 feet) clearance between the stove and walls. Unfortunately, this distance would put my stove somewhat in the doorway. I have been doing quite a bit of research and have found many instances where people have written that these rules or recommendations neednt be followed in the case that the environment is non combustible. The floor is cement, the walls are brick and stone, and the roof is cement and brick. While there will eventually be steel and glass doors nearby, all surfaces will remain unpainted and there will be no insulation and no electrical lines nearby. In short: nothing in the scenario is combustible.

My instinct says, considering the circumstances, moving the stove to within 30cm (1 foot) from the each of walls will do no harm.

I could use your wisdom here. Can you please give me some advice?

Thanks,
Andrew

CTC means Clearance to Combustibles. If you don't have any combustibles,
I'd say you can put it where you want, but here in the USA, we have to have
an Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) aka Building Inspector sign off on the install.
Does your country have those AHJs?

Reactions: andrewbirk
CTC means Clearance to Combustibles. If you don't have any combustibles,
I'd say you can put it where you want, but here in the USA, we have to have
an Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) aka Building Inspector sign off on the install.
Does your country have those AHJs?

Hi Daksy,
The only inspector we deal with is a municipal architect who signs off on the total architectural project. We are restoring an old property in the nuclear center of an old tiny rural town- the rules are extremely strict to maintain the facades of the buildings as they are but that is about it. The municipal architect might pass through the house once the construction is finished but my understanding is that she will be focused on height to width proportions of windows (for example). There is no electrical or other code inspections. As these old buildings are all stone (at some points almost 3 feet thick) they are naturally fire resistant.

More than anything I am curious as to the physical affect that may occur if I put a wood burner lets say 12 inches from a 24 inch thick rock wall. Wont this merely heat up the rock wall in a way that benefits the warmth of the space? or will I be opening myself up to potential problems?

Thanks

More than anything I am curious as to the physical affect that may occur if I put a wood burner lets say 12 inches from a 24 inch thick rock wall. Wont this merely heat up the rock wall in a way that benefits the warmth of the space? or will I be opening myself up to potential problems?
The wall hold some heat, but its more likely that it will act like a heatsink rather than storage, trying to conduct to the outside to even things out, but since your climate is more / damp then cold & stormy, I dont think it will be to noticeable. Food for thought here, some stoves have a thermostatic air adjuster, its important to have a minimum clearance as stated in the stoves manual if it has that feature, you dont want the T-stat's function to be affected by outside influences.

Reactions: andrewbirk
Yes the wall will absorb the heat and suck it outdoors. Putting any sort of heat shield between the wall and stove will increase the amount of heat pushed into the room.

Yes the wall will absorb the heat and suck it outdoors. Putting any sort of heat shield between the wall and stove will increase the amount of heat pushed into the room.
Yes, I would be looking at stoves that are more convective than radiant if the goal is primarily heating. That uninsulated window wall is going to lose a lot of heat so go large.

The wall hold some heat, but its more likely that it will act like a heatsink rather than storage, trying to conduct to the outside to even things out, but since your climate is more / damp then cold & stormy, I dont think it will be to noticeable. Food for thought here, some stoves have a thermostatic air adjuster, its important to have a minimum clearance as stated in the stoves manual if it has that feature, you dont want the T-stat's function to be affected by outside influences.

thank you!