Reload question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Garbanzo62

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2022
Connecticut
So new Stove user.. Did my initial burns a week ago and then it got too warm to use for a few days.. Last night, I got the stove up to temp and then packed the stove for overnight burn. This morning, I spread the coals out a bit and added some kindling and smaller splits to get it going. The kindling was pieces of 2 X 3 scraps (Not Treated) that I had laying around that I cut into pencil thick pieces. I put a handful of the kindling on top of the coal and some very small splits (2 to 3 inch) on top of that. Closed the door but had air control full open. After 5 minutes all I had was a stove full of smoke. Threw a lit piece of news paper in and that got it going.. Is it normal for it to take that long to relight? Am I doing something wrong with the reload.?

If your box has filled with smoke that is an indication of poor/non established draft. sometimes you may need to crack the door to get it going again. A rule of thumb for my stove.. and each stove setup is different.. if the scrap/kindling doesn't catch right away, crack the door. If the wood catches right away, you can close the door.

Sometimes on a reload I help it a bit with a propane torch, to get past the smoking stage faster. Sometimes all it needs is the door cracked open.

Reactions: BillBurns
If your box has filled with smoke that is an indication of poor/non established draft. sometimes you may need to crack the door to get it going again. A rule of thumb for my stove.. and each stove setup is different.. if the scrap/kindling doesn't catch right away, crack the door. If the wood catches right away, you can close the door.
I do the same with my stove, just crack the door and leave air control wide open. I have a semi tight house so sometimes I crack a window near the stove as well. Once it gets going i start to slowly close everything down. Works 98% of the time lol

I always leave the stove door open about 1/2" for morning startups on last night's coals. Close the door when the fire is burning well enough to sustain itself with the door closed and the air control wide open.

I leave the door cracked on re loads and pull hot coals all forward. I have an old insert.

I always leave the stove door open about 1/2" for morning startups on last night's coals. Close the door when the fire is burning well enough to sustain itself with the door closed and the air control wide open.

I dont do that all the time after an overnight burn because sometimes my stove is plenty hot.. still like 300 or so

Becareful of putting many smaller splits into coals only for reloading / reestablishing a fire, sometimes the fuel mixture gets to rich and you will have a quick flash (can cause a bang with smoke seepage into the room) if your firebox becomes smoke ridden because of a method op described on a reload, open the door so more oxygen can get in there, sometimes I open a door and throw a match onto the wood and it lights right off.

I dont do that all the time after an overnight burn because sometimes my stove is plenty hot.. still like 300 or so
I generally don't reload with kindling in the morning. Just large splits so I give it a bit of help.

I'd first open the air all the way for 10 minutes. That produces some heat from the coals, and thus draft. Then open the door a crack, let the air flow establish. Then rake the coals forward. Then add wood. Leave the door cracked until it catches - assuming the smoke goes in the flue rather than out of the door. If the wood is dry enough, it should get going very quickly.

All of this sounds good, but in reality its a lot of controls for this, and that, air wash, ect....mine sucks but she works.

All of this sounds good, but in reality its a lot of controls for this, and that, air wash, ect....mine sucks but she works.
No it isn't allot of controls at all. There is generally one air control. And maybe a bypass