Remember my sick solar design?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Well, that sux. Sorry you are going thru this!

My install company only wanted $1,000 down then 70% two weeks before install (way after all approvals had been given). I was also given an "install by" date, which was 4 months from the time of contract signing (signed in May). It also stipulated unforeseen delays, and that did come into effect because of supply chain and labor issues. But they had gotten the town and utility approvals early in the process. They also have a really good BBB rating and have been in business for over 15 years.

I didn't go with another company because I didn't get a good feel from them (actually waited a month for the install company I used to come out to bid). The other company wanted $2,500 down then 80% as soon as the permits were pulled, with no timeline for actual installation. Add that they were a new comapny to the area, plus a few other things, and I just didn't want to chance it.

Bummer, Maine and NH really need to up their game on contractor licensing as this happens a lot. General contractors are not licensed by the state. The bummer is that even licensed trades like electricians cannot be denied a license or have their license revoked for commercial purposes, as long as they do their code update and pay thier license fees they can still pull wires. Most set up LLCs s they are not personally liable, all they do is set up a new LLC and get a new paint job for the truck and they are back in business.

This is one of the reasons why I did my own installs. Grid Tied PV is almost plug and play these days as long as someone doesnt need to communicate with a remote site for the system to operate. In the one case I did need an electrician to sign off, I did the detailed electrical design and cited all the applicable sections of the NEC so that he could learn how to do it himself in trade for his signature. Ninety percent of the requests for help on the solar forums I frequent on grid tied systems is the remote communication aspects with the manufacturer. The systems can still generate the power but rather than having the diagnostics and record keeping locally, they send if out over the web to the manufacturer and there seem to be lot of issues with that communication.

Well at least you got the media's attention so that others do not get burned and hopefully you can get some partial compensation. If this doesnt turn you off, Revision Energy has a good rep.

That does suck big time. We had Revision put our solar and mini-splits ont he previous home and they did an excellent job. With the new house, I will have to cut a lot of trees to get decent sun so that won’t happen any time soon.

I wasn't impressed with my interaction with Revision. They had a billion excuses why I shouldn't go solar, but kept up the email conversation until I finally figured out they weren't interested so told them never mind.

I told them upfront that I had challenges, but at the same time they were looking at pre-2013 pictures off of Google. Since then the big-azz willow on the south side came down (which I told them) and obviously they weren't taking into account that the west side is totally clear of shade (I have a hip roof - so have 3 sides to work with). Plus, either they were tryihng to use the bigg-azz ground mount panels or thought I lived in a bobhouse. They told me they estimated could only get 2 panels on the south side and a total of 13 panels on the entire roof.

The south side is currently holding 6 panels. The east side is holding 7 panels and the west side is holding 7 panels. I have plenty of room for expansion on both the east and west sides. Heck, the company I used believed they could get 37 panels on my roof if I wanted to massively overproduce at 243% above current usage (in case I went with EV and/or changed my gas boiler out for an electric boiler).

I get it, at a little over 5,000 kwh yearly usage, I don't use a lot of electricity so it isn't a big job. And I live in southern NH (they are in Northern NH). But they could have just told me they weren't interested in bidding instead of giving me the email run around.

However, that doesn't mean they aren't the right company for a job they are interested in, since I can't comment at all on their actual work.

Last edited:
Not sure who you were talking with but Revision is based out of Southern Maine and Southern NH they definitely are not based out of Northern NH, There was a small solar firm based in Gorham a few year back but they were only around a couple of years and sold some very overpriced tracking solar collectors including at two that had installation issues.

Not sure who you were talking with but Revision is based out of Southern Maine and Southern NH they definitely are not based out of Northern NH, There was a small solar firm based in Gorham a few year back but they were only around a couple of years and sold some very overpriced tracking solar collectors including at two that had installation issues.

I don't know why I thought northern NH. Reviewing the emails, it was definitely Revision Energy though not the small firm in Gorham.

I also got a quote from Revision and they were really conservative with the satellite / tree cut estimate. To get a rebate I needed to have no more than 20% shading. Based on the satellite they said I needed a lot of tree cutting. The other company (revolusun) said we may be close but they would confirm after doing the pics from the rooftop. We took our chance with Revolusun and ended up needing nothing to qualify. That being said Revision was good to work with, a little slower coming up with the estimate but they were always good and responsive until I made the decision.