Remember there is no such thing as a stip question: Gasification venting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sinnian

Minister of Fire
May 28, 2008
Limerick, Maine
IS there anyway to vent an indoor wood gasification unit without a chimney? Is there a way to vent it BY CODE using piping up, then out (horizontal) of my basement, then up again for the draft? If so, how far up would it have to go once outside?

I want to see what my options are besides pellets if possible. I would most likely be looking at the small Tarm add on. Unless I get other recommendations.

Thanks ~ Jeff

(p.s. still seeking information on the Traeger in anothe thread)

TO my knowledge, it needs a full chimney - which could be metal, but is still a full chimney.

Maybe Eric saw something overseas......a wood unit without a chimney has always been the holy grail, but the startup and idle settings have always been the problem. I suppose any of these could be solved, but the potential market has not been large enough for excess innovation in our industry.

Check out this page on the tarm site about chimney requirements:
http://www.woodboilers.com/chimney-guidelines.asp

If not installed by the "book," they will not honor warranty. You can vent oil and propane with power vents out the side of the house if that would free up an existing flue. If not, add one the way they want it. Good luck. I love my tarm!

Status
Not open for further replies.