Reminder to be nice to your stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kinsmanstoves

Minister of Fire
It is Mother's Day so I am up early and planning on taking care of Mom. More like taking care of the kids so they leave her alone. So this gives me free time to bang away on the laptop from home. I also know it is in the 30's outside and the stove is running.

Please remember to burn out the pellets in your stove before shutting it down for summer. Pellets left in the hopper can grab moisture and cause issues for your stove. This is real important for inserts. Also unplug the unit to keep electrical problems from happening in a lightning storm or power surge. Yes you need a surge protector on every stove and not just a $.99 power strip. Protect your investment.

One of the little ones is getting fussy and about to get out of the duct tape so I need to run.

Eric

kinsman stoves said:
It is Mother's Day so I am up early and planning on taking care of Mom. More like taking care of the kids so they leave her alone. So this gives me free time to bang away on the laptop from home. I also know it is in the 30's outside and the stove is running.

Please remember to burn out the pellets in your stove before shutting it down for summer. Pellets left in the hopper can grab moisture and cause issues for your stove. This is real important for inserts. Also unplug the unit to keep electrical problems from happening in a lightning storm or power surge. Yes you need a surge protector on every stove and not just a $.99 power strip. Protect your investment.

One of the little ones is getting fussy and about to get out of the duct tape so I need to run.

Eric

Duct tape ?

Don't you have handcuffs ? Must be new at this child rearing thing. :cheese:

pete324rocket said:
while on the topic....any thoughts of spraying the insides of the stove with anything to prevent rust. My concern of course would be causing a fire upon start-up. thoughts?

Easiest solution to moisture is to get a couple containers of dessicant (silica gel). They can be placed in the firebox & hopper, and when saturated (indicator turns pink), they can be "re-charged" in your home oven:

www.brent-krueger.com/silica.html

To keep the interior of your stove in good shape after you clean it real good, and this would include using something like stiff brush on the interior surfaces to brush off any caked on ash material. You can then spray the inside with a cooking spray. It can be something like PAM, or any brand doesnt matter as long as you get some of that oil onto your surfaces. I've also used a few drops of vegetable oil on a old paintbrush, and brushed it onto the bare steel but the cooking spray gets into all the fine cracks better and keeps water out. All it needs is a very light coating, this will help keep moisture out. There are some good posts here in the forum on " summerizing" your stove. A lot of stove owners put a rag into the flue vent as well to keep moisture out during the summer months but if you put a rag or something like a wad of newspaper into your flue make sure you make yourself a note and attach it to the inside of your hopper, so that when it comes time to fill it up and fire up your unit you wont forget to remove the rag, if not youre in for a smokey start. I put a note right on the front glass of mine it says " Rag in Flue Pipe" ..

The exterior of your stove needs a little TLC as well, its steel, and therefore prone to moisture problems too, so dont forget to apply a little cooking spray to the exterior areas underneath it or wherever moisture might cause some rust such as the outside of the firepot and any rods or bolt threads that prone to rusting.

Ive used the silica buckets as well, they help a lot also, but it's my opinion that, a short term solution to keeping bare metal rust free is to coat it.

cncpro said:
kinsman stoves said:

Eric

Duct tape ?

Don't you have handcuffs ? Must be new at this child rearing thing. :cheese:

New to child rearing? I have four kids that is why the handcuffs are in the bedroom on the headboard.

Great idea macman. I ordered some desiccant containers for my stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.