reminder to check your house voltage...........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MCPO

Minister of Fire
............and your pellet stove outlet.
Being an electrician for nearly 50 years I can`t tell you how often I`ve seen homes where voltage is lower than it should be. Quite often the voltage of one of the (2) 120v legs of the 240v system is considerably higher/lower than the other. And more often than I`d like to believe , it`s often a power company problem.
There are many areas where the distribution transformers and other apparatus are border-line since they have not been upgraded in years and they simply don`t get to it unless there is good reason.
Most cheap muti meters available at Radio Shack will give you a pretty accurate measurement of the voltage in your home and you can take these readings off your outlets .
I strongly suggest having a qualified person check the circuit breaker panel but if you are brave and careful it`s not out of the realm for a handy homeowner to remove his panel cover and check voltage across any 2 pole breaker (range/dryer or at the mains.
While you are at it , those of you who have a generator should also know exactly how much voltage it is putting out .
They do get out of adjustment over time and I`ve seen far too many generators running at lower/higher voltages than what they should have been. I`ve had to adjust both of mine , they were off quite a bit.

here's the way I now check the power company voltage at the stove outlet.......

Attachments

• TrippLite1000LCD-2.jpg
    TrippLite1000LCD-2.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 228
like macman, my stoves are on UPSs with LCD display.

Status
Not open for further replies.