Remove Blue Enamel and Repaint Flat Black

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

southbalto

Feeling the Heat
Nov 20, 2008
Mid-Atlantic
I'm thinking about picking up a VC Acclaim.

I'd like to remove the blue enamel and repaint. How much of a chore is this going to be?

I don't know about VC's process specifically, but in general, I would think that would be very hard to actually remove all the enamel in a smooth and even fashion. I doubt scraping would be very effective and machine/hand sanding would take for ever. One possibility might be industrial sand blasting. Another might be scuffing the surface of the enamel, then covering with paint, but it's hard to say how the paint would react when applied to the enamel surface.

Yea, I hear you. I think I'm going to pass on the stove. There are a bunch out there and I'm sure I can find another.

Probably the best choice. Removing enamel will NOT be easy, and you probably wouldn't be satisfied when/if you finish the process

Status
Not open for further replies.