Remove chimney damper to install liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Trying to install a liner in my chimney to use with my wood insert.
Any ideas how to remover this style damper?

A sawzal and grinder. Cut part of the firebox out as well so you can get it through round

Where are you grinding to get it out though?
Take the handle out then cut the damper in half. Then cut out as much of the firebox and smoke shelf as you need to get the liner through and lined up

Take the handle out then cut the damper in half. Then cut out as much of the firebox and smoke shelf as you need to get the liner through and lined up
Can I tell you how much I hated cutting out the firebox and smoke shelf? I know it was the right way to do it, but my god, what a pain. Didn't help that they left about 25 pounds of mortar on the top of it ( I assume from when they originally built it) and there was all kinds of crap up there from before I replaced the crown and put a cap on it (thankfully no dead animals). Only saving grace was I have a full face respirator. Anyway, thanks for the help

Reactions: EbS-P