Remove structure underneath?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

pezboy

Nov 22, 2021
Detroit
I have 2 chimneys in my 1927 house. I was told I should remove the wood structure in the basement which is directly touching the bricks. I believe the wood was used to hold the bricks together as they were being mortared in. These bricks are not the bricks for the floor of the fireplaces. I don't see any signs of damage or heat/fire to the structure but understand they might be a fire hazard. 2 questions.
1. If I remove the wood structure beneath the bricks do I need to put in a metal support?
2. I have drywall in the ceiling beneath one of the fireplaces. Do I need to put in some type of fire resistant material between the bricks and drywall?

Thanks

PXL_20211122_152718365.jpeg PXL_20211122_152754300.jpeg

What is actually under the brick, just the first 2x10 or all 3? Hopefully just the first one which should come out relatively easily. I haven't heard of putting in metal before rocking over, but it won't hurt anything.