Removing fireplace insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cold Mo

Dec 21, 2008
SW MO
Looking for suggestions on best/easy way to remove inserts for cleaning chimney. Could use dowels but that limits removal to front of raised hearth (which is too limited) unless an extension platform is constructed. Seems some sort of track that can be placed under insert and extended beyond hearth would be effective. Are such things available? Other methods other than lugging on these heavy brutes?

I have a sheet of metal that I use to make sliding out heavy stoves easier. But if you don't have an insert already consider getting one that you don't need to pull in order to clean the chimney liner. Look for stoves that have an easy to drop baffle or a bypass that has easy access.

What model insert do you have? Does the chimney have a liner?

I always take the baffle out its good to check it and clean everything inside your stove.

Yes we have an insert puller it is a platform with wheels and adjustable legs that sets up in front of a raised hearth. We hardly ever use it anymore we only have 2 slammers left that we work on that is just about the only time you need to pull an insert to clean it. If yours is just slid into the fire box "slammer" style I strongly recommend you consider a liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.