Removing Heatilator HF36 and installing Wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Randomwoods123

Jan 11, 2022
Cincinnati
Just recently moved into a house and it has a really nice stone masonry fireplace, but it has an older Heatilator HF36 installed in the 80s.

I was wondering could I pull the heatilator out without damaging the stone too much. Then build up a stone/tile/some other hearth inside that alcove and install a freestanding wood stove? I was thinking an England's.

The chimney has been inspected and is good, just wondering how difficult this project would be?

20220111_173331.jpg 20220111_173340.jpg 20220111_173439.jpg

The easiest way to get that unit out without damaging the stone is from the outside of the building if it's sided with vinyl or wood.
The existing chimney may be in excellent condition, but it's not rated for wood stove temperatures.
I don't know that you will have a large enough alcove in the remaining cavity for a wood stove.
You will have to refer to the install manual of what ever unit you choose to find the acceptable clearances.

Last edited:
The easiest way to get that unit out without damaging the stone is from the outside of the building if it's sided with vinyl or wood.
The existing chimney may be in excellent condition, but it's not rated for wood stove temperatures.
I don't know that you will have a large enough alcove in the remaining cavity for a wood stove.
You will have to refer to the install manual of what ever unit you choose to find the acceptable clearances.
Ahh dang, so probably not the greatest idea to put in a stove there. Thanks for the input!

So probably a pellet stove would be much more ideal?

Since that is a ZC fireplace, i am guessing you also don't have a masonry chimney. Maybe not, depends on the builder. I also have a ZC Heatilator MF36, with 8" air cooled chimney pipe, cheap metal chimney surround. It's a complete teardown and rebuild of the fireplace opening with new ZC high eff. and brick work for me. Check the manuals, it will list your clearance to combustibles. I estimate $7-10k for new ZC fireplace installed. I could do a stove in my corner install, but dont prefer it. I rate the project quite difficult.