repair clay flue before installing liner ?

KrisP Posted By KrisP, Aug 9, 2019 at 11:09 AM

1. KrisP

KrisP
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Aug 9, 2019
    Loc:
    Pennsylvania
    Planning on installing a wood burning insert in exsisting fireplace, the top of the flue at the chimney is spalling and was wondering if needed and options of repairing? the wood burning insert will use a stainless liner and its cap will be sealed to the top of the existing clay flue
    micdEfB.png NOSZQyB.png

2. bholler

bholler
    Chimney sweep 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    No need to repair the liner just cut it down flush. But the crown does need repaired. Well replaced. And make sure you get an insulated liner

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. KrisP

KrisP
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Aug 9, 2019
    Loc:
    Pennsylvania
    Great thank you , I wasn’t sure how important the condition of the existing flue tile was since the new liner will be taking over it’s job. Wether I do the install myself or have it done I still like to know have a good understanding of it all

4. bholler

bholler
    Chimney sweep 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    The condition of that clay liner has absolutely no significance after a new liner is installed. It simply becomes part of the masonry structure at that point.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    webby3650 likes this.
  5. KrisP

KrisP
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Aug 9, 2019
    Loc:
    Pennsylvania
    i know a poured crown is preferred, but would stainless crown over the existing masonry be acceptable ?

6. bholler

bholler
    Chimney sweep 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    Yes it is not how I like to do it but it works fine

7. HomeinPA

HomeinPA
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 4, 2018
    Loc:
    Central PA
    That's an 8x8 flue liner. You have precious little chance of getting an insulated liner down the inside of that unless you're venting a pellet stove insert.