Repairing cracked baseplate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

John L.

Nov 15, 2022
North Georgia
I have a Jotul f118 wood stove and noticed a crack in the baseplate when we were getting ready to start burning. The crack is about halfway back and goes almost the full width (see pictures). I have a couple questions with addressing this issue:

1. Is the stove structurally compromised? (i.e. can I still burn or does it need to be repaired before use? It is our primary heat source.)
2. What method of repair would you use for this type of fracture? Can it be repaired? Can it be repaired with cement or does it have to be welded?
3. We have a welding shop around the corner that does cast iron welding. With a fracture like this, would you recommend taking the whole stove in or would it be best to disassemble so they have better access?
4. Do you have any recommended sources on disassembling and reassembling stoves?

Thanks in advance! I really appreciate your suggestions and insights!

image0.jpeg image1.jpeg image2.jpeg IMG_6327.JPG

I have a Jotul f118 wood stove and noticed a crack in the baseplate when we were getting ready to start burning. The crack is about halfway back and goes almost the full width (see pictures). I have a couple questions with addressing this issue:

1. Is the stove structurally compromised? (i.e. can I still burn or does it need to be repaired before use? It is our primary heat source.)
2. What method of repair would you use for this type of fracture? Can it be repaired? Can it be repaired with cement or does it have to be welded?
3. We have a welding shop around the corner that does cast iron welding. With a fracture like this, would you recommend taking the whole stove in or would it be best to disassemble so they have better access?
4. Do you have any recommended sources on disassembling and reassembling stoves?

Thanks in advance! I really appreciate your suggestions and insights!

View attachment 302888 View attachment 302889 View attachment 302890 View attachment 302891
I honestly would not recommend trying to repair that. Get a new base

You are in a very tough spot. This stove sucks to rebuild and thats exactly what you need to do. There is no repairing that crack. It needs to be replaced.