Replace all pipe or just add cleanout+increase length - Mt Vernon-old

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

qwikstart

Nov 29, 2018
Washoe County, Nevada
First, A huge thank you for this site and contributors.
I have been reading posts for two days and have learned so much.

New to pellet stoves - bought used Mt Vernon from craigslist - not AE.
Far more complex than I thought - exhaust, control board etc...

Always knew cleaning anything is the first step - but couldn't get down to the horizontal portion of the pipe.

Had stove installed - originally, pipe straight out through wall thimble with horizontal cap termination.
But, was advised that it was done wrong and vertical pipe was added.

Now, I see a cleanout is required and....
I am also wondering (after reading clearances etc) if the pipe should be about three feet higher.

I have already ordered a pelletvent pro double T - to clean out vertical and horizontally and extra 3ft pipe plus the newer jet cap (all Duravent).

Now, I am wondering if I should just chuck the whole thing and start over and I will do it.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

20181130_094534.jpg 20181130_094351.jpg 20181130_094240.jpg

I'm no stove installer.....but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night.....(not)

anyway... I just went through an install and inspection... I see..

1- pipe appears closer than 48" to a window...that's a problem and needs to be resolved if its gonna be inspected
2- exhaust is pointing up... that's a problem and needs to be resolved if its gonna be inspected
3- like you said there is no cleanout...thats a huge PIA!

My stove (PelPro 130) is OK for a straight shot out the wall... horizontal a total of about 3 ft long from stove to termination.... I used Duravent but any approved pipe will work

I think you are on the right track but....... is it going to be inspected?

Reactions: kappel15
Use caution. If connecting to current piping, you cant usually mix brands/models. Duravent, and Pro series are not compatible.
Looks like you need to remove the outside 90, add a clean out T, and go from there.

I would go straight out and be happy. Put a cap on that looks like a dryer vent end and good to go. My Santa Fe is like that. As long as it meets requirements for any inspection. kap

I would go straight out and be happy. Put a cap on that looks like a dryer vent end and good to go. My Santa Fe is like that. As long as it meets requirements for any inspection. kap
I'm no stove installer.....but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night.....(not)
anyway... I just went through an install and inspection... I see..
1- pipe appears closer than 48" to a window...that's a problem and needs to be resolved if its gonna be inspected
2- exhaust is pointing up... that's a problem and needs to be resolved if its gonna be inspected
3- like you said there is no cleanout...thats a huge PIA!
My stove (PelPro 130) is OK for a straight shot out the wall... horizontal a total of about 3 ft long from stove to termination.... I used Duravent but any approved pipe will work
I think you are on the right track but....... is it going to be inspected?
Use caution. If connecting to current piping, you cant usually mix brands/models. Duravent, and Pro series are not compatible.
Looks like you need to remove the outside 90, add a clean out T, and go from there.

I had to think....for more than a minute - no good with acronyms - but got it; and yes, a PIA.

No inspections for pellet stoves in my county at this time - at least, when I checked last year. Just don't want to worry.

I don't know what type of pipe is installed. Might not connect but then I know. Easy return with Amazon.

Last pesky question, I think the last. Picture below explains - thoughts? Leaning towards around corner but up or down?

Thanks for all the suggestions! This forum has been so helpful.
options pipe-1372x2822 (2).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If the stove manufacturer approves a straight out then go with that...it requires no turns, no cleanouts (just remove the cap) and is by far the least expensive...in the original post it seems that you had it that way but were advised it was wrong...by whom? and are they right? the manual for your stove will indicate if that approved!

First, A huge thank you for this site and contributors.
I have been reading posts for two days and have learned so much.

New to pellet stoves - bought used Mt Vernon from craigslist - not AE.
Far more complex than I thought - exhaust, control board etc...

Always knew cleaning anything is the first step - but couldn't get down to the horizontal portion of the pipe.

Had stove installed - originally, pipe straight out through wall thimble with horizontal cap termination.
But, was advised that it was done wrong and vertical pipe was added.

Now, I see a cleanout is required and....
I am also wondering (after reading clearances etc) if the pipe should be about three feet higher.

I have already ordered a pelletvent pro double T - to clean out vertical and horizontally and extra 3ft pipe plus the newer jet cap (all Duravent).

Now, I am wondering if I should just chuck the whole thing and start over and I will do it.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 234428 View attachment 234429 View attachment 234431

I would go straight out with a 90degree elbow at the end. I would make the pipe two feet out from the wall to avoid soot on the wall and the 90 elbow pointed down to eliminate a wind blowing straight into the pipe. That is as simple as you can make it.
The reason for vertical pipe is to provide a draft effect if you loose power. This is optional as using it depends on how often you loose electricity?

If the stove manufacturer approves a straight out then go with that...it requires no turns, no cleanouts (just remove the cap) and is by far the least expensive...in the original post it seems that you had it that way but were advised it was wrong...by whom? and are they right? the manual for your stove will indicate if that approved!
I would go straight out with a 90degree elbow at the end. I would make the pipe two feet out from the wall to avoid soot on the wall and the 90 elbow pointed down to eliminate a wind blowing straight into the pipe. That is as simple as you can make it.
The reason for vertical pipe is to provide a draft effect if you loose power. This is optional as using it depends on how often you loose electricity?

Yes, pipe was installed originally horizontally...kicking myself. Contractor said needed vertical due to being close to walkway and high winds.
Past year, electricity out about 8 times. I don't leave the stove on when not at home.

Install instructions state horizontal is good.and much less expensive and less effort.

Grateful for the help and advice. Thanks!