Replacement for brutalized soapstone stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JulieE

Nov 18, 2007
Alabama
Hi, I'm new here, but I can tell I'm among experts. I've been heating with a combination of propane, electric, and wood for the past 18 years. The wood was burned in an old soapstone stove which had at sometime in the past had the interior cast iron baffle melted and sagging across the firebox. However, as long as someone continued loading wood in it around the clock, it kept the house very warm. The house is 1700 sf, and has low ceilings in both the 1-1/2 stories, but the high open stairwell is right next to the chimney. Also, one side of the downstairs is open, and the other is enclosed rooms, with the woodstove on the open side. Now: I am planning to replace the stove with a wood-burning insert. Here in Alabama, there is ample supply of oak and hickory, but a shortage of dealers. I have seen Regency, Lopi, Quadra-tech, and a far-too-small Dutchwest. Jotul can be special-ordered. What do you pyrotechnicians suggest?

Well, since you already had a soapstone stove, I would seriously consider the woodstock soapstone line. Also, they are factory direct only, so that removes the dealer problem that you're having.. Otherwise though, all of the brands you've listed are high high quality units and you won't have any problem with them. If you visit the Vermont Castings website, you'll see that there are actually quite a few different Dutchwest stoves in a variety of sizes, and I'm almost certain that there will be one that would fit your house.

Those are all top brands - we'd have to know a lot more to choose one over the other. In general I would first council to read our article about choosing a stove - then probably go for something in the medium size range.

If you are able to find a local dealer who has good knowledge and service, that might help you choose your brand right there - but if you cannot find a dealer that adds value to the proposition (knowledge, service, installation,etc.), then you can consider buying long distance or even at a hardware or building chain.

here is the article for your consideration:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Choosing_a_Wood_Stove/

I've been reminded that it's not just the busted baffle - it's the soapstone. By the time it heats up, I'm asleep, and if I built a fire in the morning, it'd be out by the time I got home from work. The dealers around here share an attitude: if I don't think what they have in stock is appropriate to my needs, they'll try to change my mind. If I don't cooperate, forget it. I don't anticipate a lot of professional help with installation, to say the least. Would I do better with an insert advertised for the smaller or larger range of square feet covering the size of my house? Thanks. No-propane Julie

In Alabama you can probably err towards the smaller range. The downside though will be shorter burn times with the smaller firebox. Are you anywhere near Montgomery? This shop sells Pacific Energy. If it is nearby, look at the Vista and Pacific inserts.
http://www.totalhearth.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.