Replacing a heatilator prefab with FPX Apex 42

spmane

Aug 7, 2019
Indiana
I have a 3500 sqft. (plus 1000 sqft basement) all electric house built in 2007 . Electricity bills during winter months are expensive here in Indiana. I have a builder installed Heatilator EL36 fireplace and I am looking to replace it with Apex 42. I have a couple of quotes for demolition, install and finishing (simple facade, mantel and hearth). The quotes range from $12.5k to $15k. I am not sure if it is worth going for it. I love the ambience and the heat from a wood fireplace but finding it hard to convince SO to drop >$12k. Any advice/alternatives?

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Maybe check out some other options that fit the same sized space as the Heatilator that is to be removed so that reframing is not required? Look at 36" ZC fireplaces like the Flame Monaco, Pacific Energy FP36, RSF Opel.

Reactions: spmane

rtros956

Oct 26, 2018
Thornhurst, PA
I just finished a similar project and the costs you were quoted were in line with what I spent. I did some of the work myself - demo and framing. I had the fireplace itself installed with the new venting then I had a mason finish the stone work. I installed a Quadrafire Pioneer. My original choice was the Pacific Energy FP30 but there was not a local dealer. I chose these models because they were not catalytic. I feared the maintenance costs of replace the cat every few years. I have propane heat so my ROI on the install is well into the next century!!! I made the investment due to my location. Most of the winter a propane truck can't get down my driveway. I have to be mindful of utilization or I will run out. Installing this new fireplace gives me an alternative way to heat the house extending my tank of propane.

mpaul

Oct 3, 2019
New York
I just finished putting in the 42 Apex clean face fireplace. The clean face cost a little bit more but the sleek design looks great in our modern style home. I had a local fireplace company actually install the unit and I did all the finish work. The unit installed cost ~$10k. I then had about another $3k in stone work, mantel and hearth. It’s in a room with an open two story cathedral ceiling that’s centered in the room so I the stone work is on all 4 sides of the unit. The temps have started getting down to the low 30s so I have began using the unit a little bit. This definitely throws some heat off and warms my entire house. My wife and I believe we might be able to eliminate the use of our boiler for most of the winter. Depending on your heating bills you have to consider the ROI. We were paying about $300/month on propane keeping the house at 64 degrees. Based on the math we’ll have the fireplace pay for itself in just a few years.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Got a picture or two?

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
That came out nicely. Each setup and finishing is unique. Was this a double-sided fireplace before?

mpaul

Oct 3, 2019
New York
Got a picture or two?
I think anyone who has done a fireplace remodel has pictures. Here are a few of mine showing the before (has two sided non-functioning fireplace) and the new 42 Apex.
That came out nicely. Each setup and finishing is unique. Was this a double-sided fireplace before?
Yes it was a two sided before that my wife was heartbroken to part ways with. Two sided high efficiency wood burners just don’t exist. In the end a working one sided beats a non functioning two sided.
we both feel it came out great. A lot of work but worth it. I started the demo and rough opening started just after Easter, had it installed the first week ofJuly and finally finished it by the end of August. Only working on it on weekends tends to take a lot longer

MAD MARK

Feeling the Heat
Jan 31, 2016
Pittsburgh PA
That's looks 100 times better after IMHO.

Good job, pricey....but good things arent cheap.

Reactions: mpaul

webby3650

Master of Fire
Sep 2, 2008
Indiana
We replace a lot of pre- fab boxes with the Kozy Z-42. It’s an easy fit usually, It will be substantially cheaper than an Apex and is a respectable heater.