Replacing a US stove Co. 4840

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BenQ816

Sep 6, 2021
Massachusetts
Hey All,

I purchased a new construction last year that came with a 4840 model pellet stove. I’ve never gotten it to properly work. It was a pain to find anyone who would work on it. I’ve replaced the auger, control board, and two RTD sensors. I still cannot get the fire to last more than an hour. I’ve spoken to the folks at US Stove and they don’t have any more suggestions, and I can’t find anyone willing to work on it. So after spending about 1k I’m giving up on it!
What is the cheapest replacement unit that could use the same exhaust area. I would like it to be new and under 2k everything included. It’s on the lower level of a split level home with tiled flooring (1200sqft). I’m new to all of this so please forgive my ignorance. I appreciate all of responses ahead of time.

Thanks,

Ben

Welcome to the forum
Are you wanting a new or used stove?
For new your budget is low
For, used with any luck you will find a good Harman or Enviro
Just remember to go bigger than what you think you need
When it is really cold it is much easier to turn a stove up
Then try to get more BTU from a stove that is maxed out

Reactions: BenQ816
Thanks for the response! I was hoping for a new unir
Welcome to the forum
Are you wanting a new or used stove?
For new your budget is low
For, used with any luck you will find a good Harman or Enviro
Just remember to go bigger than what you think you need
When it is really cold it is much easier to turn a stove up
Then try to get more BTU from a stove that is maxed out
Thanks for the response. I was hoping for a new unit with that price, as I’ve seen some for around that price but, I’d imagine they are the poorest quality available. Essentially the lower level where we want the pellet stove is a guest bedroom and bathroom with a second living room we don’t often use. I just want minimize use of the mini split down there because it’s awful on my electric bill. If I were to bump my budget up to 3k is there something you feel you could recommend that could do what I’m looking for?

Thanks,

Ben

Yeah johneh pretty much said it all…I’m curious about your existing stove….maybe start a thread with what it is, what you’ve done and what’s exactly happening with it, photos and videos always help.

Yeah johneh pretty much said it all…I’m curious about your existing stove….maybe start a thread with what it is, what you’ve done and what’s exactly happening with it, photos and videos always help.
Thanks for the response. I will have to try and do that tomorrow. My understanding is that something is telling the unit it’s getting too hot so it shuts down. I’ve had the pc board replaced by a professional. I’ve also replaced the two RTD sensors as suggested by the manufacturer. I just really don’t want to put much more money into this thing at this point.

Thanks,

Ben

Reactions: Washed-Up
New construction is going to be very airtight. Does the stove have an outside air kit? If not then it needs one, as will any other stove. Even my 30 year old house did that, would just quit after a couple hours or so until I added outside air.

Edit: Reading the manual, it has its own outside air already with a concentric duct. But it’s also only 16400 BTU, good for 500-1000 sq feet (usually based on a mild climate for advertising numbers). I’m also in the northern US with a 1200 sq ft house and my stove is just about right at 48000 BTU. So I would think yours is going to be running hard. So I agree about looking for something else.

Last edited:
New construction is going to be very airtight. Does the stove have an outside air kit? If not then it needs one, as will any other stove. Even my 30 year old house did that, would just quit after a couple hours or so until I added outside air.

Edit: Reading the manual, it has its own outside air already with a concentric duct. But it’s also only 16400 BTU, good for 500-1000 sq feet (usually based on a mild climate for advertising numbers). I’m also in the northern US with a 1200 sq ft house and my stove is just about right at 48000 BTU. So I would think yours is going to be running hard. So I agree about looking for something else.
Thanks for the response. I will keep the outside air kit in mind moving forward. Also, you are correct about the home. The doors are almost difficult to close because of the material that “seals” the doors.
Do you have any recommendations with budget in mind? Is US Stove Co. not considered a reputable company? I was looking into a King KP 130.

Thanks,

Ben

I don’t have any experience with customer service and pellet stoves. Others here do.

I planned on doing everything with mine myself. After a learning curve in the beginning like adding outside air, replacing the overheat switch, bypassing the hopper lid switch, and using a pellet that makes the stove happy… mine runs excellent. But lots of people don’t like them and gave up on them. And I’ve heard many times that US Stove customer service is not very good.

Thankfully there are a ton of stove choices out there.

Thanks for the input. I need something because my electric is over $600 a month without help from the pellet stove. I just had my driveway paved for nearly 20k so I’m a little strapped. I guess I’m leaning towards picking up the KP130. How long after installing did you get it running smoothlyAlso I plan on having someone install it so hopefully that helps get things off to a good start.

Thanks,

Ben

maybe look at englander stoves made in usa, not chi-com. generally good customer service also.

Thanks for the response! I’ve also considered that brand. They are sold at Home Depot locally. I do have a bit of experience with US Stove Co.’s customer service. They are very pleasant. Not knowledgeable enough unfortunately. Do you think the cost difference is worth it when comparing the two stoves similar models?

Thanks,

Ben

Thanks for the input. I need something because my electric is over $600 a month without help from the pellet stove. I just had my driveway paved for nearly 20k so I’m a little strapped. I guess I’m leaning towards picking up the KP130. How long after installing did you get it running smoothlyAlso I plan on having someone install it so hopefully that helps get things off to a good start.

Thanks,

Ben
Took maybe a month for the first things, but it was still marginal. Until just over a year later I tried a different pellet, and the difference was so great that I couldn’t wait to use up the remaining stash.

Not all US stoves are the same. But mine and any with that same control panel, have no adjustments to the burn characteristics except the manual damper in the back. You’re stuck with the factory programming so you have to find a pellet that burns well.

An Englander I believe has more adjustments.

Have you looked at ComfortBilt stoves? They are in your price range.

I seem to remember something about them being built in China, not that USSC stoves aren't. I'm pretty sure the Wiseway is. I do know parts of my 6041 are Chinese, the door is proudly stamped 'Made in China' on the inside.

Took maybe a month for the first things, but it was still marginal. Until just over a year later I tried a different pellet, and the difference was so great that I couldn’t wait to use up the remaining stash.

Not all US stoves are the same. But mine and any with that same control panel, have no adjustments to the burn characteristics except the manual damper in the back. You’re stuck with the factory programming so you have to find a pellet that burns well.

An Englander I believe has more adjustments.
USSC stoves with the 4 button board are completely user adjustable from draft fan speeds to room air speeds to PPH fuel delivery and even have a corn setting (which is why I have one), plus they are remote thermostat capable. As with any stove, make sure you have a quality surge supressor on the line cord and it's grounded to the outlet box. I use the Tripp-Lite myself. The Tripp-Lite tells you via LED's if in fact it's on a ground and will tell you if a fault or surge has been detected and mitigated. Only about 35 bucks on Amazon.

The Hearth Focus models are the only stoves I've ever seen with an 'agitator' built into the firepot that causes the ash to drop into the large ash pan (at least as big as the Harmon).

Of course it has the bogus 'air wash' system that don't work (on any stove anyway). Far as I'm concerned it more of a weenie wash that anything else...lol

Mine ain't pretty but I'm not into pretty anyway, I'm into heat output and ease of maintenance.

If I ever wore this one out (doubtful), I'd buy another just like it. Mine burns anything pellet wise, hardwood, softwood, recycled pallets, any wood by product plus corn (below 15%RM of course, cherry pits and switchgrass pellets The guts are all stainless (good for corn) and it's easy to clean out.

If I don't like the way it's combusting a certain pellet, I just adjust the parameters so it does. Most times however, it's just corn with some pellets mixed in to mitigate corn clinkers.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response! I’ve also considered that brand. They are sold at Home Depot locally. I do have a bit of experience with US Stove Co.’s customer service. They are very pleasant. Not knowledgeable enough unfortunately. Do you think the cost difference is worth it when comparing the two stoves similar models?

Thanks,

Ben
Interesting. My experience has always been the polar opposite though if I really need something I just go to their very comprehensive website and order it there and one nice thing about replacement parts for them is, every stove parts outlet has most of what you need, much cheaper than the OEM anyway.

The doors are almost difficult to close because of the material that “seals” the doors.
Any door that closes easily is not sealing properly. Plain and simple. The rope gasket in the door channel MUST sit proud of the door face and MUST be 'compressed when the door is latched closed, consequently, the door will have closing resistance. You have a lot to learn I can see. That rope gasket is a consumable and must be replaced every few years or when no resistance is felt. Around here, we do the 'dollar bill test'. If you close the door with a bill in it and it slides out easily, it's gasket time

Because the combustion air is precisely controlled, any infiltration of outside air will upset the fuel to air ratio and cause poor burning, excessive ash and blackened view glass.