Replacing big inefficient wood burning heatilator - advice needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

50Lakes

Jan 22, 2017
Minnesota
This is in a second home in MN. We knew when we bought the place a couple years ago that this thing would probably have to go. We come from a history of efficient Cozy Heat fireplaces and a Vermont Castings Encore. I was sure I'd NEVER have a gas fireplace until I moved to a town home a couple years ago that has one. Now I love the convenience and ease with which we can have reasonable ambiance and nice warmth without cranking the furnace up. We now use this fireplace practically every night from fall through spring. When we had wood it was almost always a weekend thing as it was too much trouble after work or to keep it going when not home during the week.

So now I am really torn about what to do with the heatilator at the second home. If we get a wood burning fireplace we will likely get a Wilkening. However this is a home for us as we age and I'm concerned we'll use a wood burning FP/stove even less as we get older as has happened with some other people we know. Assuming I get a decent gas FP (we have natural gas) that meets my needs I don't think I'd ever really regret my decision. I could see regretting a wood burner when I'd like to warm up the room or have the ambiance but don't because it's too much trouble. So at the moment I'm thinking gas but I have waffled back and forth every time I see a nice efficient wood burner.

What I'm completely unsure of is what brands to consider for gas. I want a large viewing area and something that could keep the house above freezing in a furnace or power outage - something we could do with our efficient wood burners of the past. However I don't want it so hot we have to turn it off because we're too hot as other people tell me they have to do. Based on what we've looked at so far we know we will have to rip out the current unit including some of the faux stone. If gas we'll rip out more faux stone since we don't need a storage space for wood.

The FP is in a living room that's about 16x24 but open to adjacent dining and kitchen space that's a bit larger. It has a two story vaulted ceiling with about a ten foot opening to loft area. We have good ceiling fans to circulate the heat that rises up there.

Any general thoughts about wood vs. gas as well recommendations of high quality, reliable gas FP brands would be much appreciated. Here's a pic.

IMG_1825.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
If I should have posted this under gas, please advise. I interpreted this forum to be Wood stoves and all types of fireplaces but maybe this is wood only??

I moved this to the gas forum so that you will get more attention from the gas community. Will leave a link to the wood forum for a week to see if there are other suggestions for wood.