replacing Catalytic Combustor in Fireplace Xtrordinair

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CityBoyTom

Jan 23, 2020
Michigan
Please be gentle. our first wood stove/fireplace and first post.
we have read the travis industry manual 30 times. and some things left out,
that are for folks who have used woodstoves their entire lives and assumed everyone knows.
we like our dealer - but attempting to do at least some things ourselves to keep this running.
our combustor needed replacing. no issues removing. lots of the outside gasket/insulation was just dust.
we ordered a replacement on amazon (our dealer was going to take too long to get part)
it does not come with any insulation/gasket for the outside of the metal container of the combustor.
we have some 1 inch thick ceramic fiber insulation. can this be used to wrap new combustor and install.

Any help/knowledge/wisdom would be greatly appreciated as we attempt to migrate from city folk to backwoods and happiness!

purchased => Midwest Hearth Wood Stove Catalytic Combustor Replacement Catalyst Lopi FPX Fireplace Xtrordinair

I changed it recently . The combustor comes with thin gasket that keeps it together. I dont see how you can put 1inch insulation around it. The fit is really tight.

Is this a 44 or 36 Elite or a fireplace insert? I’m assuming it’s an elite. I’ve seen these after market cats that don’t come canned, I guess they plan on you replacing individual cells in the original can, I see no possible way to make this happen. Is that what you have? 3 small cats with no gasket or stainless can?