Replacing Distribution Blower on Harman P61A

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigjim13

Minister of Fire
Jan 5, 2009
Central Vermont
As some of you may know from my other thread, my distribution blower is starting to make an awful racket. Did a thorough cleaning today, including taking off the distribution blower, cleaning it and put a touch of 3 in 1 oil to hopefully alleviate some squeaking and squealing. Didn't work, in fact it sounds worse. GOing to shut it down tomorrow and see if I can make it better but I think I am heading for a new distribution blower.

So...question is, how hard is this to replace? I had no issue taking it off, how hard is installing a new one? I'm not crazy about wiring but from the pictures I have seen online, it looks to just clip into an existing wire? I did a bunch of searching before posting this, so any help would be much appreciated.

I found this blower on Amazon, is this all i need?

http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Model-2C647-Blower-Volts/dp/B00DSMC870

Thanks in advance for any help!

Just two self taping 7/16 bolts I believe and as you stated the wires are spade terminal. The one mounting bolt will need a extension on the socket wrench to reach. 10 minute project and that includes the sheet metal removal so you probably have that off. Only a 2 on skill level I think. Won't comment on if the motor you found on Amazon is correct. Looks right. Others have went local(grainger) and have gotten it cheaper.
Good luck. I seen others finding electric motor shops that clean and replace bushings etc and can possibly have a cheap spare.

These Dayton blowers can be found at a lot of places. Just make sure to cross reference the numbers or match your existing number. Very quick and easy to do as Bio mentions.

Thanks guys! Will I need to splice wires or do these blowers come with clips? Some specify, others do not.

10 minute project and that includes the sheet metal removal so you probably have that off. Only a 2 on skill level I think. .

Glad that wasn't me as the OP - I can easily make it an hour project without breaking a sweat - and I would be proud of myself for even managing to get it done :)

Reactions: Bigjim13
Thanks guys! Will I need to splice wires or do these blowers come with clips? Some specify, others do not.
Your probably going to have to get a package of crimp on connectors. A five pair pack should not go for more than $3

Your probably going to have to get a package of crimp on connectors. A five pair pack should not go for more than $3
Any specific kind?

Sorry for so many questions, thanks for the help!

I would just take the old motor to a auto parts store and they usually have a wide selection of those type connectors. If you bring in the new motor too they may even have a crimp tool you can borrow to crimp on the new connectors.

I would just take the old motor to a auto parts store and they usually have a wide selection of those type connectors. If you bring in the new motor too they may even have a crimp tool you can borrow to crimp on the new connectors.
Thanks!

Man this blower got loud last night. Had to shut it down. Fired it back up this morning and seems like it's even worse. I may just head to the dealer tomorrow when they open to see if they have a blower in stock. Fingers crossed!

Dealer should have one on hand as the p series uses the same unit as well as several other stoves

So, snowy day but had to be out on the roads anyway and hit up the local Harman dealer shortly after they opened.

Was super excited to hear they had a distribution blower in stock although part # had changed from my now 8 year old manual. Out the door with a new blower for $136 and change. It's a bit more than some places online but I could not wait to change it any longer and expedited shipping would have put the cost very close.

Got home and boom, snap to replace. Only snag was the ground wire in my old blower had a male connector and new one had female. So snip, snip and splice with a wire nut and we are back in business.

Thank you to everyone who helped and answered questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.