Replacing refractory panel and liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cluelessone

Oct 19, 2020
Chicagoland
I noticed a crack in the refractory panel in the back of my wood-burning fireplace. I'm not interested in burning my house down, so now I'm looking at replacement.

The sides of the fireplace are very warped. They are metal. Is there a risk in leaving these in place, or should I look to replace those too? If I take them out, what will I find behind them?

I've read many stories of refractory panels cracking again right away after replacement. Can I use a fireback to help prevent that? Can I use a fireback instead of replacing the panel (sorry if that's a stupid question)?

Thanks for all the help!

The warped sides is a bit of a concern. They usually are not a replaceable item. What fireplace make and model is this?

The warped sides is a bit of a concern. They usually are not a replaceable item. What fireplace make and model is this?

I couldn't read the tag before because it was painted over, but I took some nail polish remover to it this morning. The picture has the tag information. I also have pictures of the cracked refractory and the warped side - both sides look the same.

Attachments

• 20201027_151500.jpg
    20201027_151500.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 178
  • 20201027_151519.jpg
    20201027_151519.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 178
  • 20201029_041921.jpg
    20201029_041921.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 193
I think that is an oldie. There may be only generic panels for it now.

I think that is an oldie. There may be only generic panels for it now.
I can cut the back refractory panel to size, what do I do about the metal side walls? Are they dangerous warped, or is it just unsightly? Who makes "generics"?

Can I just put a fireback in, or use it to protect the new refractory panel?

Thanks so much for your help, this is a world unto itself as far as understanding right from wrong. At least to me it is!

The back panel probably cracked after being hit several times with wood being loaded. There is nothing much one can do about the side warpage. I can't tell you the condition of the fireplace remotely. Not sure why this happened.

The back panel probably cracked after being hit several times with wood being loaded. There is nothing much one can do about the side warpage. I can't tell you the condition of the fireplace remotely. Not sure why this happened.
I don't mind calling a pro out - how can I sift through to find a good one? I'm in a south Chicago suburb.

I have the exact same fireplace. My side panels are shaped or warped exactly like the one in the photo. Did you ever resolve this issue?