replacing sledge handle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

loneeagle15

Feb 12, 2007
Montana
Ok I missed the wedge with the metal and tried to use the handle instead a couple of times so now it's time to replace the handle I like the fiberglass handle on my maul better than the wood on my sledge so I opted for a fiberglass handle instead of wood but the hole in the sledge is way bigger than the handle end (1/4" all the way around) in the instructions they say you can use BB's as filler will it hold is this normal also there is a metal clip on the handle end does this get epoxied in the head as the instructions make no mention of this piece
Thanks

Yes - Epoxy. Use regular stuff, not 5 minute. I used spent Pop-rivet mandrels as filler since they were on the floor of the shop. I also used narrow strips of duct tape to seal arounf the head/handle interface. Then cut of excess handle after epoxy hardened.

ATB,
Mike P

Status
Not open for further replies.