Replacing Stove Bricks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Rather than start a new thread...

Does anyone know of a place that makes custom shaped fire bricks?

When I had to replace the bricks in my PE Summit, I changed from the pumice to regular firebrick, no change in performance, at all. If you have even moderate DIY skills you can do your own cutting.

Chez therealdbeau. Just get an angle grinder and diamond cut off wheel. I'm not kidding at all.

What shapes are you looking for?

I installed my Country Flame Ovation 3000 in 2001 and I have only replaced 3 or 4 of the pumice bricks. I attribute those to rough handling. I learned to set my logs in while wearing welding gloves instead of semi-throwing them the way I could with my old cat. stove. It sounds like some people have been scraping there bricks away in pursuit of ash, stop that. At that time I could not find pumice around here so I used clay. The broken ones were in the two brick thick ceiling baffle. The stove had always done excellent heating our 2750 sq ft well insulated home until the firebrick swap. Not anymore. I found a source for pumice, changed back and wha la the stove I love came back to life. When you think about it the heat is supposed to come out the front where there is no brick not the sides, bottom and back.
I have been burning 24/7 four to five months a year for 29 years.
I am currently working on a water to water heat ex-changer to divert flue pipe heat to the radiant floor heat system in my basement shop.

I installed my Country Flame Ovation 3000 in 2001 and I have only replaced 3 or 4 of the pumice bricks. I attribute those to rough handling. I learned to set my logs in while wearing welding gloves instead of semi-throwing them the way I could with my old cat. stove. It sounds like some people have been scraping there bricks away in pursuit of ash, stop that. At that time I could not find pumice around here so I used clay. The broken ones were in the two brick thick ceiling baffle. The stove had always done excellent heating our 2750 sq ft well insulated home until the firebrick swap. Not anymore. I found a source for pumice, changed back and wha la the stove I love came back to life. When you think about it the heat is supposed to come out the front where there is no brick not the sides, bottom and back.
I have been burning 24/7 four to five months a year for 29 years.
I am currently working on a water to water heat ex-changer to divert flue pipe heat to the radiant floor heat system in my basement shop.
Do not pull heat from the flue it will cause lots of problems

Recently replaced Dutchwest 2500x02 insert firebricks with soapstone. Just walls, most of which were cracked. https://vermontsoapstone.com just took measurements of each brick from manual. Thickness is standard 1in so it's easy to customize other dimensions.
Blower stays on a few hours longer now so I think it's worth it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: therealdbeau