Replacing Vermont Castings Encore with what?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BonnieMc

Sep 27, 2020
Westfield, WI
To replace our Vermont Castings Encore, we're looking at the Jotul Oslo F500 V3, (which I see has had some terrible reviews), the Novo 24, and the Neo 2.5. Please help! I was opposed to getting a catalytic but saw the Oslo and then read the materials and was impressed. Now I'm very worried about the reviews I've seen. We have a Neo 1.6 in another space and like it but I'm sometimes frustrated by the minimal amount of air adjustment available so have been concerned about both the Novo 24 and the Neo 2.5. Any thoughts very welcome. Situation: old farmhouse used as second home/cabin. Neo 1.6 is in kitchen/dining room. Second larger stove is for the rest of the house 'to keep the chill off'. Total first floor 900 sq ft. Total house 1800 but second story used infrequently. (I am not a techy.)

To replace our Vermont Castings Encore, we're looking at the Jotul Oslo F500 V3, (which I see has had some terrible reviews), the Novo 24, and the Neo 2.5. Please help! I was opposed to getting a catalytic but saw the Oslo and then read the materials and was impressed. Now I'm very worried about the reviews I've seen. We have a Neo 1.6 in another space and like it but I'm sometimes frustrated by the minimal amount of air adjustment available so have been concerned about both the Novo 24 and the Neo 2.5. Any thoughts very welcome. Situation: old farmhouse used as second home/cabin. Neo 1.6 is in kitchen/dining room. Second larger stove is for the rest of the house 'to keep the chill off'. Total first floor 900 sq ft. Total house 1800 but second story used infrequently. (I am not a techy.)
How important are looks? When you say minimal amount of adjustment for the Neo is that heat output or air adjustment travel distance?

Look at Drolet stoves. They are well built and are at a good price point for a second stove.

How important are looks? When you say minimal amount of adjustment for the Neo is that heat output or air adjustment travel distance?

Look at Drolet stoves. They are well built and are at a good price point for a second stove.
Looks have some importance but aren't the main factor, as the Neo, Novo, Jotul, and Encore probably show that we have some flexibility. Having minimal clearance to the back (6"-8") is important. Minimal adjustment means I don't feel I'm able to 'turn down' the stove as much as I'd like (but that obviously reflects the travel distance as well.) I'll give a look at Drolet but I haven't seen it locally and feel uncomfortable buying beyond what I can actually see. But thanks much.

I recommend the Jotul F45 instead of the F500v3. It is a simpler design and lower maintenance. And the PE Super or Alderlea T5 will allow N/S loading like the F45.

Reactions: EbS-P