Replacing woodstove insert with 8" flue with new insert with 6"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bipsic

Nov 16, 2021
Silver Spring
I live in MD suburbs near DC and had my flue lined in prep for a new dual fuel furnace/heat pump. I asked the installers to look at my Tremont 260 fireplace insert and they opened the back of the stove and determined it has an 8" connector. Chimney man said they would have to knock out the tiles inside the chimney to get an 8" line through, and then line it with vermiculite. Anyway, I decided to get a new wood stove insert with a 6" connector, so they could just use the standard 6" liner to connect to new stove. I found an Ashley AW740 insert that has the exact same measurements as my existing one, only it has a 6" connector. My question, am I living in a fools paradise thinking I can just remove my existing one, and slide the new one in place and have the chimney liner connected and bob's your uncle? I do have the original permit/inspection from the county issued in 1988, for the TAC-260

I live in MD suburbs near DC and had my flue lined in prep for a new dual fuel furnace/heat pump. I asked the installers to look at my Tremont 260 fireplace insert and they opened the back of the stove and determined it has an 8" connector. Chimney man said they would have to knock out the tiles inside the chimney to get an 8" line through, and then line it with vermiculite. Anyway, I decided to get a new wood stove insert with a 6" connector, so they could just use the standard 6" liner to connect to new stove. I found an Ashley AW740 insert that has the exact same measurements as my existing one, only it has a 6" connector. My question, am I living in a fools paradise thinking I can just remove my existing one, and slide the new one in place and have the chimney liner connected and bob's your uncle? I do have the original permit/inspection from the county issued in 1988, for the TAC-260
Is there room for a 6" insulated liner in the chimney?

The ol treemont probably has a rectangle to round boot on it that connects to the 8", I would verify it goes up to the crown, most only piped up to the first tile and left a mess of baked in creosote on the tiles that will need to be cleaned off before a new liner is installed (camera inspection can let you know more)

After it is cleaned and inspected It could be an easy install if you have the room for a new insulated 6" liner from crown to the new insert and have at least 15ft of chimney.

BTW, the AW740 does not meet the 2020 epa standards so you won't be able to get the tax credit.

The ol treemont probably has a rectangle to round boot on it that connects to the 8", I would verify it goes up to the crown, most only piped up to the first tile and left a mess of baked in creosote on the tiles that will need to be cleaned off before a new liner is installed (camera inspection can let you know more)

After it is cleaned and inspected It could be an easy install if you have the room for a new insulated 6" liner from crown to the new insert and have at least 15ft of chimney.

BTW, the AW740 does not meet the 2020 epa standards so you won't be able to get the tax credit.
Yes it does have a rectangle to round 8" just like you said, probably only goes up to the first tile, since there is NO LINER in there now, and yes he photos were pretty dirty, cobwebs and a lot of Cicada bodies that found my chimney to die in. I will make sure they clean before installing the 6" insulated liner. Any ideas what I should do with the old tremont stove? Thinking freecycle or maybe try to list it on Ebay for a few bucks. It worked OK last time I used (3-4 yrs ago)