Request for Info/Advice: Mt Vernon auger

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KipL

Nov 16, 2015
Massachusetts
We have a pretty old Quadrafire Mt. Vernon pellet insert. I can't tell you exactly how old, but at least 10 years I'm guessing. Anyway, this year we got our first "Auger jammed" error message. I've worked on this stove myself over the years to keep it running (can't afford the dealer's high rates), but never on the auger. I have some questions I hope someone can answer. The manuals and troubleshooting guides are pretty rudimentary: "does it not work? replace it". They don't tell you what the motor is, how it works, voltages/signals to troubleshoot, etc.

So anyway, my questions:

1) On first inspection I noticed 4 wires coming out of the motor - I immediately thought: "stepper motor". Good guess? I've read that if the controller doesn't get a rotation signal from the optical sensor, it assumes a pellet jam and tries to free that up by running the auger in reverse - seems like a stepper motor would be the way to do this.

2) During the startup sequence, a few seconds after the combustion fan starts spinning, I can hear (and feel) the auger motor humming, but it doesn't rotate. This scares me a bit, because if it is indeed a stepper motor, assuming there is no mechanical jam (which I haven't yet determined), that would indicate that the stepper motor driver on the controller board may not be sending the right signals to drive the stepper. I.e., replace the control board at $$$$$. Does anyone have a "feel" for the odds of the controller board being kaput?

3) With the auger ass'y completely out of the stove, and the stove unplugged from AC power, should I be able to move the auger by hand at all, albeit slowly and having to use some force? I cannot budge it - which I think may indicate the motor gearbox may be shot.

Thanks very much for any insights!

I would say you need a new auger motor. There is a post of someone else having this issue and they found the parts and motors to fix it somewhere, way cheaper then Quad parts. It is posted by Kemper14. just a few posts below yours. kap

Hello. Since people were kind enough to send suggestions, I thought I'd post my results here in case anyone else having the same trouble is reading this thread.

I removed the entire auger ass'y. I used a small C-clamp to compress one side of the spring steel band holding the motor to the gearbox. Once separated, I saw that the motor had a single small gear on its shaft - I could not move that at all (guess there's the problem!).

Using a small screwdriver I carefully scraped small registration marks on the top and bottom pole pieces and on the plastic winding covers so that I could match everything back up on reassembly.

Then I slowly pried apart the pole pieces, working slowly a little bit at a time all around the circumference, until they came apart. Once apart, I cleaned the motor shaft and bearings with alcohol and relubed with clock oil.

Seems to be working just fine now.

Hope this helps someone.

Reactions: kappel15