Resolute I questions..(from a novice)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ovie832

Aug 25, 2021
PA
Hi everyone.

I recently purchased a resolute I on facebook. Guy who had it said it had been sitting for years.. floor model barely ever used.

Couple questions... I was a bit eager and may have jumped the gun in terms of size.

We live in an old farmhouse that has 3 sections.. original from 1710, an expansion from 1930, and the final expansion from 1999. (roughly 3200 sq ft)

My hope was for the wood stove to warm the Original section and the 30's part. (probably ~2k sq ft).. however it is very compartmentalized and not an open floor plan.

We have a walk in hearth that seems to fit the resolute pretty well. But I would love everyone's opinion on if I made the right decision.. or if I should've gone with the vigilant/defiant. (defiant seems like it would've been too large with shelves to fit)

Here's a pic of the stove in the fireplace..(yet to be attached).. I was hoping to add warming shelves to fill out the space more. Does the resolute work with shelves? If so.. which ones should I be purchasing? I noticed there are no screw holes under the lid.

Thanks for your time!

IMG_2830.jpeg

This will not be big enough to heat that much space, esp if its the older part of the house with worse insulation.

The Resolute will do a good job of heating 12-1600 sq ft depending on the house insulation. It's very possible this home will need two stoves, one on each end. If the room where the stove is proposed to be installed is closed off, what is the sq ftg of that room or area? Be sure to have a block off plate installed in the damper area and a full, 6" insulated liner to connect the stove.

Reactions: ovie832
The Resolute will do a good job of heating 12-1600 sq ft depending on the house insulation. It's very possible this home will need two stoves, one on each end. If the room where the stove is proposed to be installed is closed off, what is the sq ftg of that room or area? Be sure to have a block off plate installed in the damper area and a full, 6" insulated liner to connect the stove.
Appreciate the reply. It’s probably closer to 2k sq ft. I’m gonna try to find the clamp on warming shelves but if I don’t have much luck.. I may look to swap it out for a vigilant.
Have any idea where I can find the old clamp warming shelves that work without the threaded screw holes under the lid?

while it is still warm out sell that stove and buy a bigger one or like begreen said get another stove for the otherside of the house. that stove is going to be running hot and hard to do that area.

OK, so this room is not separated by doorways or openings from the older part of the house? A vigilant or defiant would be a better fit for a 2k sq ft open area. There are many more modern stoves that would look good there too. Be on the lookout for a good condition Quadrafire Isle Royale, Jotul F600, Hearthstone Manchester.

Reactions: ovie832
Thanks everyone for the replies. The older part of the house is separated by some pretty thick doorways. So I’m thinking maybe I try the 2 stove route with another one on the other side of the house. (Unless I’m able to swap out the resolute with a local stove guy who has a bunch of vigilants)

sorry to ask again.. but does anyone have a lead on the clamp on style warming shelves for the resolute? I can only find the ones that work with the threaded screw holes. Would love to have some on the resolute because it would really fill out the fireplace.

My house is similar. Front is 1830's brick farmhouse with no wall insulation 1000 sq ft 2 floors. Middle is wood frame from 1930's and has a large country kitchen also 1000 sq ft 2 floors. Back is addition from 2000 with 300 sq ft 1 floor. I have a VC Resolute in the old part and a VC Vigilant in the Kitchen. I burn wood in the Resolute and coal and wood in the Vigilant and the stoves are diagonally placed in the house. I can heat the house with the Vigilant when it is above 30. Use both stoves below that and when it gets to single digits the furnace may even kick on. 50,000 BTU may sound like a lot but old houses have a lot of heat loss.

Reactions: ovie832 and fbelec