Room not getting hot - Vermont castings resolute acclaim

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KingstonRocks

Aug 25, 2022
Kingston, MA
Hey everyone ,

I was super excited to add this Vermont castings resolute acclaim stove to my living room so it got warm during the winter. I bought the stove off Facebook for $200 and installed a brand new 25 ft insulated insert into my old homes masonry chimney. The stove fires and burns well, it seems to be operating perfectly and fires burn long and hard. But for some reason the stove doesn’t really throw any heat into the room. The stove itself gets hot , 400-500 degrees according to my stove thermometer but the room only barely warms up. Any ideas or thoughts ? I have insulation surrounding the insert blocking air from going up the chimney but I really don’t understand .

image.jpg

Lots going on there, the basic principle of taking a radiant stove and installing it in a hole usually leads to poor overall performance.
A few other things such as fuel type, how dry it is (less then 20% moisture) and how much you load are attributes to the burn, also are you closing the bypass?

Been burning pretty dry wood , 2 years aged . What’s the bypass ? Not sure what that means , sorry new to this
On the upper right side of the stove should be a small handle, thats the "damper handle" or as I refer to it as the by-pass, when the stove gets warm pull the lever towards you to close the damper, when reloading or starting a fire move it away from you.
I'd pull the manual and refresh yourself with the stove, its clearances and functions / cleaning requirements, these down draft stoves get touchy when really dirty, if ran to hot or poorly operated the rear refractory can break and it becomes very expensive to repair, if you can even find the parts.

Reactions: KingstonRocks
On the upper right side of the stove should be a small handle, thats the "damper handle" or as I refer to it as the by-pass, when the stove gets warm pull the lever towards you to close the damper, when reloading or starting a fire move it away from you.
I'd pull the manual and refresh yourself with the stove, its clearances and functions / cleaning requirements, these down draft stoves get touchy when really dirty, if ran to hot or poorly operated the rear refractory can break and it becomes very expensive to repair, if you can even find the parts.
Okay, I was confused, had just been operating with the bypass open, just closed it now. Maybe that will help. Thank you for taking some time