Retaining Wall Block

MTY

Jan 9, 2019
Idaho
I placed the last of this year's retaining wall block today. Number 900 was put in place about three this afternoon. They weigh 70 pounds each. 150 per day is a good day's work as each has to be picked up at least twice.

johneh

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2009
Eastern Ontario
Better you than me
Maybe I could do 20 a day (at 70)
150 just maybe overdoing it
Bet you're glad it's done
How about a picture

Reactions: SpaceBus

MTY

Jan 9, 2019
Idaho
Progress is made daily. The last two pictures are from about a month ago. You can see part of one of the retaining walls out the far slider opening.
I should take more pictures tomorrow.

moresnow

Minister of Fire
Jan 13, 2015
Iowa
Idaho. Beautiful state!

MTY

Jan 9, 2019
Idaho
It is metal board and batten. It comes in 6 and 10 inch widths. It is made like standing seam metal roofing where the fasteners are placed and the batten end snapped over them.

SpaceBus

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2018
Downeast Maine
It is metal board and batten. It comes in 6 and 10 inch widths. It is made like standing seam metal roofing where the fasteners are placed and the batten end snapped over them.
Not a bad look. I assume infinitely easier than our process of using 1x12 planed boards for the boards and making battens from ripping the boards.

MTY

Jan 9, 2019
Idaho
It is rather tedious to put on, and you almost have to own a siding break to put it on, but the finished product is nice. Getting the stuff is an exercise in frustration. I do not know if the problems are with the manufacturer, the wholesaler, or the lumber yard.

I was told by the yard man that I should not order it all at once as it was expensive and non returnable. This was the first order they sold of the product, and nobody had a good idea of coverage versus waste as it only comes in 10 foot sticks and you have to buy it by the box. So I ordered what I thought should be enough for half to two thirds of the building. It was weeks over due coming in. The second shipment is also late. It most likely will be Thanksgiving before I can get the last couple of boxes of siding.

Had I known this, I would have used a different product. 10 years from now, I guess it will not matter.

SpaceBus

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2018
Downeast Maine
It is rather tedious to put on, and you almost have to own a siding break to put it on, but the finished product is nice. Getting the stuff is an exercise in frustration. I do not know if the problems are with the manufacturer, the wholesaler, or the lumber yard.

I was told by the yard man that I should not order it all at once as it was expensive and non returnable. This was the first order they sold of the product, and nobody had a good idea of coverage versus waste as it only comes in 10 foot sticks and you have to buy it by the box. So I ordered what I thought should be enough for half to two thirds of the building. It was weeks over due coming in. The second shipment is also late. It most likely will be Thanksgiving before I can get the last couple of boxes of siding.

Had I known this, I would have used a different product. 10 years from now, I guess it will not matter.
Good to know your experience. I've had issues with the lumber yard as well for our siding. Cracked boards, embedded debris, holes, inconsistent availability, and clueless employees have plagued this process. Unfortunately we are locked into one lumber yard until we finish the first floor siding. I'll post some photos soon, I'm too lazy to get out the camera and laptop.