RFID in credit cards: FYI:News

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Off to eBay to buy me a reader. :cheese:

I think somebody cloned my cat. She has a RFID chip in her and I saw one that looks just like her the other day. >:-(

Interesting for sure. I have never seen those deals that you can pay like that. Some of the places I shop at use this still though:

images

Interest rate doesn't matter if you pay it every month ;-)

I use one most of the time to get the air miles. I have flown to Maine the last 2 Christmases from Anchorage for nearly free. Otherwise a $1000+ plane ride.

Cash is king!
Big brother has more trouble marketing to a person using cash only. Turn off the GPS on your phone too.

I got a call last week from my credit card company informing me of some possible fraudulent activity.
Yep, some bahstard was trying to buy expensive clothing with my card. The same card that was hacked last summer.

I don't use my card very often but it is getting a tinfoil sleeve dammit.

rkshed said:
Cash is king!
Big brother has more trouble marketing to a person using cash only. Turn off the GPS on your phone too.

Every time you pay cash you are still paying a 2% penalty since things are priced on the assumption that people use credit cards.

I also build up the miles and pay each month. We went to the left coast in November round-trip and I have enough for a couple more saved up.

But if you can't pay them off each month - don't have 'em.

Webmaster said:
rkshed said:
Cash is king!

Every time you pay cash you are still paying a 2% penalty since things are priced on the assumption that people use credit cards.

I also build up the miles and pay each month. We went to the left coast in November round-trip and I have enough for a couple more saved up.

You are correct. Pay it off at the end of the month. But...
Studies have shown that if a person uses a credit card for purchases, there is no measureable reaction in the brain. If a debit card is used, there is a slightly negative reaction. If cash is used, the reaction is very strong and similar to strong pain.
This reaction, or the lack of when swiping a card, is most likely why our country and many, many Americans are in debt or financial troubles.
Probably not the forum for this, sorry.

rkshed said:
Webmaster said:
rkshed said:
Cash is king!

Studies have shown that if a person uses a credit card for purchases, there is no measureable reaction in the brain. If a debit card is used, there is a slightly negative reaction. If cash is used, the reaction is very strong and similar to strong pain.
This reaction, or the lack of when swiping a card, is most likely why our country and many, many Americans are in debt or financial troubles.
That is interesting, when ever I buy a big item there is pain no matter how I pay! :lol:

rkshed said:

You are probably correct - but I am very disciplined, so may be an exception to that rule.

I'm with Craig and use credit cards to rack up air miles. I don't care about the interest rate. In 30+ years we have always paid the bill at the end of the month. But we don't look at the card as deferred debt. If we can't pay for it we don't buy. It's just a convenience. However, for local small businesses we usually use cash or check so that they don't get hit with the additional credit card fee.

I also carry very little cash and am a disciplined card holder (never once in my life have my wife or I carried a balance to next month).

Every time I hear this debate come up I also hear about the 2% charge that is associated with card use that we all have to pay for. My next thought is, what would happen if everyone really did stop using cards? What would be the implications of every gas station and store in the country dealing with that much extra cash on a daily basis? How about the poor people that have to make night deposits? Would the banks be able to handle dealing with that volume of paper money to be checked daily? Would the mugging rate go up if people knew everyone was carrying cash instead of cards and a small amount of cash?

There are certainly risks associated with our setups and usage, but I have to wonder if the personal risk would actually be greater without it this way.

pen

pen said:
I also carry very little cash and am a disciplined card holder (never once in my life have my wife or I carried a balance to next month).

Every time I hear this debate come up I also hear about the 2% charge that is associated with card use that we all have to pay for. My next thought is, what would happen if everyone really did stop using cards? What would be the implications of every gas station and store in the country dealing with that much extra cash on a daily basis? How about the poor people that have to make night deposits? Would the banks be able to handle dealing with that volume of paper money to be checked daily? Would the mugging rate go up if people knew everyone was carrying cash instead of cards and a small amount of cash?

There are certainly risks associated with our setups and usage, but I have to wonder if the personal risk would actually be greater without it this way.

pen
I would imagine there would not be much change in muggings, etc (we just had a man stabbed 7 times for $5) but electronic theft would plunge. Many years ago we had a vending business and banks are well set up to handle large amounts of cash.
Ones credit score might lower a bit but what is a credit score really? A measure of your willingness to take on debt. Yes, you may pay it off regularly and that is great, but if one person pays cash for a new car and one gets a loan for the same car, which one has more PII out in the world? Which one is in trouble if his job is suddenly gone? The bank won't care about the job. The credit reporting agency will be more than happy to sell you an ID theft package that will do what they are supposed to already be doing.
I would love to see people start paying cash more often.
Oh, and it would be great if Americans had to actually write a check every monthto the Government for their taxes. Then they would care more about what their money was being spent on (entitlements, unearned income tax credit, etc).
I will now step off my soapbox.

i only have a debit card. cash is king!. maybe someday we'll can have rfid installed in are bodies. haha. then will have to wrap are bodies in tinfoil.

ecocavalier02 said:
i only have a debit card. cash is king!. maybe someday we'll can have rfid installed in are bodies. haha. then will have to wrap are bodies in tinfoil.

Some all ready have that, :)
No worries, an EMP may make all this technology useless some day :bug:

Status
Not open for further replies.