rigid insulation for insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brian89gp

Minister of Fire
Mar 15, 2008
Kansas City
I am looking for rigid insulation to shove inbetween my insert and the masonry it is installed in to help keep the heat out of the masonry. The stove manufacturer says that the masonry can be touching, but I would prefer some insulation.

There is about 1/4" clearance on each side and I would probably put 1/2" thick on the back side. Cost is not much of a factor, I am looking for the highest insulation value that is reasonable. The stove surface gets very hot so that would rule out all the types of insulation that I know about.

Usually roxul is used for this, but it's a bat style insulation and what you could fit in that small an area would be completely nominal.

In general, I can't think of anything that would give any real benefit for a space that tight, considering the heat requirements it must stand up to. I suppose a metal or durock heat shield could be slid in there, helping to preserve an air space, but I just can't imagine there being much in the way of gains.

My gut tells me you are kinda stuck with what you have here.

In general, are you finding that your unit is not meeting your heating needs? Do you have a block off plate installed around the liner?

pen

In general, are you finding that your unit is not meeting your heating needs? Do you have a block off plate installed around the liner?

I have rock wool stuffed up there, yes. The insulation for the sides/back of the masonry fireplace opening are more to protect the brick then anything, its the old soft brick with lime mortar and I can't imagine that the constant heat cycling is going to be good for it.

I used a chunk of liner insulation and am using it as a top blanket for the insert to keep it from throwing heat into the masonry above it and it does a real good job considering it is only 1/2" thick. It is way too floppy to use on the sides or back though.

I have 200k BTU of gas furnaces and my house needs every bit of it and the insert is only rated for 40k or something like that. Due to the size of the house no single fireplace would be enough, I use this insert as supplimental heat and pretty much run it 24x7 once it gets to 45* or so outside. Doesn't eliminate the gas bill, but does cut it in half which helps.

One type is Micor Check with a company in your area that services /builds/ install heat treat ovens. They will have several different types

Status
Not open for further replies.