Rigid Rockwool for baffle?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
Would rigid Rockwool make a good baffle above the tubes? Perhaps sandwiched between a couple of sheets of expanded steel for protection and stiffness?

Would be way cheaper than most OEM baffles from the stove manufacturers.

I've had three OEM vermiculite baffles fail from thermal shock. Fortunately still under warranty, and eventually they upgraded me to the c-cast that they use in their higher cost models. But the Rockwool idea is intriguing to me.

The c-cast should do well. I'm surprised to hear of the thermal shock problem. That is uncommon.

The c-cast should do well. I'm surprised to hear of the thermal shock problem. That is uncommon.
I have a theory that the top of the baffles that failed were wet from horizontal rain coming down the liner, and my technique for starting the fire was pedal to the metal before I figured out that a slower acceleration was a better way to go. SBI stood behind the warranty, so I'm totally satisfied with the stove.

If I come across ridged Rockwool locally, I might buy a package and try it out as a baffle.