Rim Joist Insulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The only reason I see to rip out old fiberglass batts in the attic would be to make air sealing easier/better since you can see everything all at once. Otherwise you just pull back one batt, seal, replace…
I suppose if you have low eaves with little room to add blown-in on top then it could make sense to pull batts out there.

In other words if I you're cold just put on a sweater. No need to take your shirt off first. :p

Tomorrow is the day that my rim joists are getting done. I can't wait. It's been pretty cold as of late and the kitchen floors are like ice when walking on them without shoes. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Tomorrow is the day that my rim joists are getting done. I can't wait. It's been pretty cold as of late and the kitchen floors are like ice when walking on them without shoes. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Keep us updated. I want to do mine next year.

So I got home last night and checked it out. it looks like they did a decent job. Three inches of closed cell in each bay covering the side and top of each bay and coming down over the sill plate slightly. It was not very windy last night but it was only 10 F outside and the floor felt noticably warmer or should I say less cold since it still doesn't feel warm. Before the spray foam it was literally like walking on an ice rink. Now it still feels cool but not cold. I'm happy with that as it's much more bearable.. I'm debating wether to insulate the basement cieling with new R19 fiberglass batts or put some 4x8 XPS foam boards on the basement walls to get that floor a little warmer. I'm leaning toward the foam boards on the walls. The foam on the walls should make both the floor warmer and the basement whereas the batts on the ceiling would only serve to warm the floor. Any thoughts on this?

As for the house itself maintaining temperature more easily and being at a more uniform temp, I've not been able to tell yet. I think I'll have to observe this over the next week or so to see what difference if any there is to be found with regard to that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm considering XPS on my basement walls too, curious to hear opinions on this. What I do know is that finishing half of my basement, adding 400sqft of conditioned space to a 1900sqft house decreased my heating bills, so insulating those walls must help.

TE

Definitely insulate those walls with XPS. I added foam to the walls as part of an ongoing basement finishing project, and it made a huge difference. Even earlier in the week, with temps near 0 and windchills below 0, it never got below 62 degrees in the basement. The basement is unheated, btw. The only heat source is waste heat from a propane water heater and whatever heat a dehumidifier puts out.

+1 on putting insulation on the walls in the basement.

Don't forget that floors are rarely warm unless: 1- there is a heat source underneath (heated flooring) or 2 - The basement is heated and there is no insulation in the basement ceiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.