RIP my Jotul#4

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jerry045

Oct 3, 2009
Quebec City
After some 42 years of good service I had to replace my Jotul#4; a faint crack had appeared in the bottom plate, and I had to repair the mechanism for the door.
I offered it free but found no takers.

So yesterday I dismantled it, and in a few days it will go to the dump.
I have since replaced with the Jotul F45v2 Greenville.

Jotul#4Dismantled.jpg
Jerry

That's a good long service life. Could put the parts on eBay or on Hearth.com classified. Or sell it for scrap metal value.

Well done. You treated it well.

Reactions: VintageGal
How will you live without the Easter Island monolith? Ah well, people seem to like their 45's, best of luck to you!!

After some 42 years of good service I had to replace my Jotul#4; a faint crack had appeared in the bottom plate, and I had to repair the mechanism for the door.

View attachment 295341
Jerry
Do you still have the door latch assembly?

View attachment 295341
Jerry
Hi, I just acquired the same stove, and I’m dissembling it for cleaning, and possible repairs (I hope I don’t find any hidden cracks). Everything is pretty much above average considering the age and the “hand me down” status… it appears, though, that I am missing the rear damper, which I can see in your photo. Do you still have these parts tucked away somewhere?
I know, it’s a real longshot, but I figured I would give it a try.
Thanks,
Alex

😂 I just saw the last line about taking it to the dump… maybe you never made it there?
Again, just a shot in the dark