rip roaring fire.. how hot is too hot for an insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

par0thead151

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jul 26, 2009
south eastern wisconsin
i am going on week 2 of my enviro venice 1700 insert. and i love the thing!
my question is, how hot is too hot?
i have already ran into the "too cold" portion of burning, as i left the air all the way down/restricted a few of thenights and a nice ammount fo creasolt built up on my glass window. now i try to make sure the fireis cooking at 600-700 before i go to bed, then town down the air to almost max restriction that the insert allows.

i have a harbor freight infared laser gun that reads temperatures fairly accuratly.
with this i can tell the temp of the coals, stove top(stays no higher than 200F, as i have a blower running)

i read that to avoid creasolt, you want to maintain above 500-600?
How how is too hot for a insert though? mine reached 825 once, and i was getting nervous as that is fairly hot.
nothing glows red, except the 3 or 4 after burners that are on the top of the insert, and they only get slightly red when the temps are pushing 800 in the embers/coals
thanks

Depends on the unit, but 500-650 is a pretty normal stove top temp. Our stove can get hotter (700+) with a refill when there is intense outgassing of the fresh wood and strong secondary burn. One thing to try is to burn down the coals a bit further before adding a fresh load of wood. Bring the coals towards the front, center of the stove and open up the air a bit to facilitate their burning.

Where are you reading these temps? On the door face? 800+ there is getting a bit too hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.