Ripped off again!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
humpin iron said:
so now that the local guy bailed you out AGAIN, who ya gonna do business with next year??????????????????????????????????

Simple, hump.....gonna buy from the guy who is a few bucks cheaper and 100 miles away again........some people never learn.....cant happen to them, right? Sorry, I dont feel sorry for him....

Unfortunately, these things happen in other industries as well. I always deal with a trusted local dealer and have never had an issue or concern. That being said I use my credit card for all purchases of big priced items. This way I have a way to dispute the charge and get my money back if needed. This doesn't help the pellet purchaser though at this time. I would recommend that any purchaser that has had a delay in receiving pellets make a quick decision and purchase from another vendor if the delivery time isn't met reasonably and report the company that doesn't deliver the product as promised. Reporting and commenting on problems might prevent the next unlucky buyer from being ripped off.

unknowingLEE said:
I don't know if this helps, but here is the info I have on Paul Ceglia, president of Allegany Pellets.

2558 Hanover Hill Rd
Wellsville , NY 14895

Cell# 585-593-8102
[email protected]

Don't know him personally but he has bought equipment from me. Always paid with a cashiers check.
This is total BS and I hope the info may help.

He was as bad as the rest of the people I talked to. luckily American Express promptly refunded my money. :)

Ah, Paul Ceglia! I know him personally. He has good intentions and lacks follow-through. Very eco-minded, and wants to help the local economy. Seriously needs help with his customer relations and organizational ability. He and his family are running the business and I can sincerely say that I hope it will IMPROVE with time, but fear he has earned a bad reputation that will be impossible to overcome.

If he can get to the point where he is not requiring pre-payment and so on, maybe it will work out for him, but failing to refund money on product not delivered is absolutely unforgivable.

I am probably 30 minutes away from this place. I saw the advertisement this summer for the super cheap pellets and I decided it was a scam.

That is stealing and he should get hauled into court and explained that by a judge.

me

I buy only from my local pellet dealer (http://www.pelletsdelivered.com) who i see in person when I pick them up or have delivered and NO prepay; pay at pickup/delivery. If I didn't have them I'd buy from the reputable pelletsales.com.

After all the pricing shenanigans over the last several years, supply problems, and then the NEWP scam last fall, I'm all done with burning wood pellets. I have 2 tons left and when they are gone I'm selling my Harman and not looking back.

There's a ZILLION places that sell pellets.....walmart's/grocery stores, lowes and home depot's just about EVERYONE sells PELLETs ....but there are a few...FOOLS....that thing there getting a deal ordering online or whatever.........BUY LOCAL!!!, rent a pickup everyone knows a person that owns a truck....pickup your own!!
I dont want to hear all the cry baby's anymore!!

Pellet-King said:
There's a ZILLION places that sell pellets.....walmart's/grocery stores, lowes and home depot's just about EVERYONE sells PELLETs ....but there are a few...FOOLS....that thing there getting a deal ordering online or whatever.........BUY LOCAL!!!, rent a pickup everyone knows a person that owns a truck....pickup your own!!

agreed....Im also tired of the "poor me" syndrome......

Richkorn,

I did check out your pellet dealer's site.

Not only do you have a reputable dealer, but you get to choose between two of the best brands of pellets.

SWEEEEET!

Ranger

P.S. Almost worth moving to CT for . . . . OOPS . . . almost forgot . . . .my brother lives there . . . .guess I will pass . . . . :)

Lousyweather said:
Pellet-King said:

agreed....Im also tired of the "poor me" syndrome......

Now, now guys. Just because the area your in has zillions of pellets doesn't mean there are not other area's with few choices. Also this economy has a little to do with people looking for bargians. If you lost your job and have very little funds to feed your family. Wouldn't you want a deal on pellets? Some people took the risk, Just because of circumstances. A buck save may put the buck into your childs mouth.

I am sure they have there reasons for taking the chance. Cut them some slack!

just my 2
jay

jtakeman said:
.....I am sure they have there reasons for taking the chance. Cut them some slack!

Agreed. Everyone has their own personal situation, and sometimes, when push comes to shove, people make decisions that they normally wouldn't, just to get by.

After all the pricing shenanigans over the last several years, supply problems, and then the NEWP scam last fall, I’m all done with burning wood pellets. I have 2 tons left and when they are gone I’m selling my Harman and not looking back.

Same here, even gave the guy who bought my stove the pellets I had left, only wood for me from now on. Last year left a bad taste in my mouth.

macman said:
jtakeman said:
.....I am sure they have there reasons for taking the chance. Cut them some slack!

Agreed. Everyone has their own personal situation, and sometimes, when push comes to shove, people make decisions that they normally wouldn't, just to get by.

How true these statements are. Working one day and not the next. That is the reality that some are faced with. Every dollar means something to a family. Most people here on this forum are trying to do the next right thing. Many of us that have made good choices over the years (myself included) are now paying for others poor, "get rich quick" or "more for me" choices. Dont knock someone that tried to save a buck and then got ripped off doing it. Isnt this type of practice just what got us into the financial mess that we are in?

JMHO

gbreda said:
....Isnt this type of practice just what got us into the financial mess that we are in?

No, you can blame Chriss Dodd & Barney Frank in congress for that. :mad:

Definately not getting into politics here. If that's the way it sounded, my bad. There is alot to blame on alot of people.

What I'm trying to say is dont kick a man when he's down. Let's leave the thread in that direction.

Yes, I agree completely. Lots of people have some very tough practical problems to keep up with the mortgage, keep food on the table, keep the vehicle running and all the rest. If everyone had lots of cash and lots of time to make the best decision, that would be one thing. Sometimes folks have to make a trade-off or take a calculated risk.

A couple is charged with ripping off customers who paid them for fuel to heat their homes. The customers were in four states: New York, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, and Massachusetts.

36-year-old Paul Ceglia and 31-year-old Iasia Ceglia of Allegany County allegedly took $200,000 from customers who ordered wood pellets. The Ceglias own Allegany Pellets, based in Wellsville.

Police said the 1900 tons of pellets that were ordered were never delivered, and the couple did not refund money to the customers.

The Ceglias are charged with fraud and grand larceny.

I wonder who is going to do it next year, and more pointedly, who will fall for it next year.....I guess the old axiom "if its too good to be true, it probably is too good to be true" is truthful here?

Status
Not open for further replies.