Ripping vs Cross-cut chain

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fire_man

Minister of Fire
Feb 6, 2009
North Eastern MA
Any opinions on buying a special "ripping" chain for those huge logs that have to be noodled? I bought one recommended by my Husky dealer that has teeth with practically no angle and it really does rip the rounds better than the my standard "cross cut" chain.

It was pricier but I think it hold its edge better when ripping those huge 35" diameter roadside scoungings.

My standard chain is Husky's H48 068G. This one is Oregon 73 RD 68.

Last edited:
I use a ripping blade when milling logs.....good idea to use one for noodling as well.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I use a ripping blade when milling logs.....good idea to use one for noodling as well.

You mean a ripping chain,no such thing as a ripping blade on a chainsaw.

You mean a ripping chain,no such thing as a ripping blade on a chainsaw.
My chainsaw is special..... <yawn>

Reactions: Ashful
Just noodled up a bunch of large pine rounds yesterday and used a Oregon JGX chain, round chisel skip tooth (on a 20" bar). Works great, now I just have to deal with the pile of noodles and sharpen it again.

upload_2018-6-4_9-13-59.png

I’m familiar with ripping chain, squared cutters to better wear the beating they take while ripping, mostly while milling. But other than the chances of clogging the saw with the massive amount of shavings that come out of the cut while noodling, I’d think that noodling has to be one of the easiest operations, and thus wouldn’t justify swapping to a different chain. What am I missing?

I’m familiar with ripping chain, squared cutters to better wear the beating they take while ripping, mostly while milling. But other than the chances of clogging the saw with the massive amount of shavings that come out of the cut while noodling, I’d think that noodling has to be one of the easiest operations, and thus wouldn’t justify swapping to a different chain. What am I missing?

Ripping chains are not really specialized for ripping they are more for a smoother finish and are slower cutting. Unless you are doing finish noodles I would use a regular chain. I use full skip to mill softwood frequently. Not as smooth but much quicker. Like Ashful said if your non rip type chain is sharp you'll get ribbons that tend to clog.

I told my Husky guy that my regular chains were dulling quick when I was ripping. That's when he suggested the ripping chain. It does seem to be faster at ripping than the regular chain but maybe its just me.

Dulling is more likely from dirty bark. Especially if you are working on the lower part of the trunk and/or near a dirt road or dusty area. Noodleing doesn't have the large chain contact that milling has is why I say dulling is likely from the bark.

Hmmm. Sounds like you are saying a ripping chain is just for smoother cuts which I don't care about. If dulling does not happen quicker with a standard chain while ripping than there is no benefit to me with the ripper. Guess I will have to try the ripping chain at cross cutting and see how that feels.

If you are disappointed with it after you try it, you can always put an angle on the teeth for a more aggressive cut. Changing angles is much easier with a dremel and a wet cloth to keep the chain cool.