Roof leak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

zrock

Minister of Fire
Dec 2, 2017
bc
I live in a mobile home where the previous owner put a unfinished addition on that i use as a work shop and storage.. Both roofs are metal roofing but the addition is 6" lower than the main roof. The previous owner used some old printing press aluminum by the looks of it to create a joint between the 2. Iv been fighting it for years as water runs through the seams and under the metal roofing for the shed. I finally got it to stop after using a bucket of roofing tar but i know that's only a temp fix. I have not been able to figure out how to make a reliable transition between the roof's, the other issue being the addition is about 6" away from the mobile home so now i have to make a reliable connection 6" up but 6" across.. I was going to replace the roof this year and extend it so it was up against the home but never made it that far and now that i found the leak id rather not spend the money on a new roof if i can come up with a better way to fix

Do you have a picture of the situation?

Not really... don't want to pull the patched tin off until I come up with a good plan

Im actually thinking of taking a ridge cap and flipping it over and using it for a filler strip if i can find a strip long enough for a continuous strip.. Thought i got all the leaks patched but seemed to have found another today with the downpour we have been having

You're going from flat roof of a trailer to flat roof of a shed dormer?. It's really hard to figure out how to help without even a pic from the ground showing what is happening.

The trailer has a low pitch roof, addition is almost a flat roof... i never understood why the person that built the addition did not raise the roof 6" on one end to meet the trailer roof then it would be much easier to seam in... If i ever redo the roof completely im going to do it properly...