Roofer painted chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Nope I have tried all kinds of paint with all kinds of prep and can't get anything to hold up more than 4 or 5 years most look like crap in a year.
3 years on anything in full exposure is an entire lifetime , unless you are using 2 part epoxy or having stuff coated and baked I wouldn’t expect anything to hold up

3 years on anything in full exposure is an entire lifetime , unless you are using 2 part epoxy or having stuff coated and baked I wouldn’t expect anything to hold up
Exactly that is why I said it should not be painted. This is a 25 to 30 year product a 3 year finish is completely unacceptable

Epoxies aren't meant to withstand UV exposure, they will chalk over in no time. Ok I'm done I'm just a coatings geek.

I'm still surprised that they took the initiative to paint the chimney. Up here if you hire a company to throw down new shingles that's exactly what they will do . . . oftentimes you have to specify if you want them to even remove the old shingles. I cannot imagine any company deciding to do anything extra like paint a chimney.

Reactions: bholler
I'm still surprised that they took the initiative to paint the chimney. Up here if you hire a company to throw down new shingles that's exactly what they will do . . . oftentimes you have to specify if you want them to even remove the old shingles.

Look for roofers that are certified through a shingle company.

In our area even the hacks remove the old shingles.

I'm still surprised that they took the initiative to paint the chimney. Up here if you hire a company to throw down new shingles that's exactly what they will do . . . oftentimes you have to specify if you want them to even remove the old shingles. I cannot imagine any company deciding to do anything extra like paint a chimney.
Must be that southern hospitality thing we've heard of.

That’s awesome that they took the time to do that for you. Looks nice, they seem like a solid company!

That’s awesome that they took the time to do that for you. Looks nice, they seem like a solid company!
Yes it looks nice now but it won't for very long

I would disagree, how does that make them a solid company when he asked them to not do anything without asking him? Sounds more like a crappy company to me.

Unless you really hated the look of a stainless pipe coming out of your roof I don't see any point in painting them. It's creating more trouble than just leaving it alone.

Reactions: Ludlow

I would disagree, how does that make them a solid company when he asked them to not do anything without asking him? Sounds more like a crappy company to me.
I read it as they didn’t bother asking. Not that he told them not to do it.
We get asked all the time to paint chimneys, and gas vents. It’s really common around here, and other areas I’m sure. This guy wasn’t trying to rip him off, he thought he was doing something nice that would be appreciated. He should have asked first though I agree.