Root balls

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
Wife and I took a short walk through part of the woods (it's very wet) and although we did not get real close, we could see the the root balls from the two red oaks we cut last winter have now at least partially stood back up. One for sure I'll be able to get a couple more logs from because that one was in the dirt right at the butt. So we'll get a few more days worth of burning out of that one. We still have several of the smaller limbs to cut up but they will wait until next winter.

Speaking of those oaks, I was splitting some of those yesterday. Man, some of those are heavy buggers for sure and my body lets me know it today.

I wish a few more of ours wood sit up. I did touch a rock today for the first time in a couple of years, I was just bringing the saw up when I notice a small spark, ran the file across three times which did the trick.

Attachments

• 100_7072-002.JPG
    100_7072-002.JPG
    235.7 KB · Views: 182
A tombstone for a long gone tree.

Behind our camp in VT there are a few mounds next to small depressions. I've taken a few friends back there and asked them how they think they were made. Only once has someone come up with the right answer. With the tree having long since rotted away they can't figure it out. (I must admith that showing them a few 150 year old cellar holes and telling them about the lands farming and logging history first probably throws them off a bit.)

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I wish a few more of ours wood sit up. I did touch a rock today for the first time in a couple of years, I was just bringing the saw up when I notice a small spark, ran the file across three times which did the trick.

What's that big old tree in the back of your picture Zap. Maple? Looks like it could stand to come down.

What's that big old tree in the back of your picture Zap. Maple? Looks like it could stand to come down.
Big old sugar maple, tops real bad so mother nature can do the job.

Ah....got ya. Accident waiting to happen.

Reactions: ScotO
Yeah, oak is super heavy, I remember bringing truck loads home a couple years ago trying to get ahead on my wood supply, my back still feels it.

Speaking of root balls standing up, any advice on this one?

I have cut several like that. My method is CAUTION, CAUTION, CAUTION. First cut at the base with a planned escape route and ninja like reactions.

Reactions: ScotO and BobUrban
Speaking of those oaks, I was splitting some of those yesterday. Man, some of those are heavy buggers for sure and my body lets me know it today.

For those heavy rounds, you should probably look into a vertical splitter, with a milk crate to sit on. :)

For those heavy rounds, you should probably look into a vertical splitter, with a milk crate to sit on. :)

Baahaha - this is akin to giving a Tibetan monk advise on how to relax.

FlatBedFord - Re-read jags post a few times and as added security work on that one in January when the ground is solid frozen. Not fool proof but frozen ground certainly limits the likelyhood of that monster standing back up when the tention is relieved and this is the big "scare" with monster root balls.

But I want it to stand back up! It is right in front of this woman's house and looks horrible! I just want to know what I can do to be sure it will stand back up.

If it doesn't do it on its own (and some don't) then you will have to persuade it with force. Maybe leave a 6 or 8 ft stem for leverage purposes.

I have a 4 ton come a long, a few of 8 ton snatch blocks, and access to wire rope and shackles. There are lots of big trees on the property too. I just have to pick the right one to hook to, and figure out how much stem to leave on the stump. Problem is that there may not be a second chance.

Steve, I doubt there will be any problems with that standing back up. It does appear you can't start cutting from the top down so I'd suggest going at least 6' from the base to make the cut. Further up if possible. Make an undercut and then from top down. I'm sure you know about all the possibilities and you know how to handle it from here. I'll still say to be careful.

The bad part is that it will probably not go all the way to fill the hole. So, if the lady wants, you might want to do some shovel work on that hole before any cutting begins. You'll need to take some off the bottom and all the way around on the sides to make it fit into the hole. Good luck.

Reactions: Jags
Status
Not open for further replies.