Root Cellars

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dobish

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2015
Golden CO
Hey Y'all, its been a while! In the process of trying to clean up our back yard, I decided I was going to put in some stairs to get down to the lower section. A few years ago, we brought in 30 Dump Trucks of dirt to raise things up and give us a little more space for drainage, etc. We have just been fighting with what do do on the hillside for a few years. We also had an elm tree that I was going to keep, just because it was holding in some of the dirt. We terraced and planted a few plants, but have basically been leaving half of the hillside to be neglected.
What it looked like shortly after we bought it:

AM-JKLWB1f-2CuZKr6PKE5rtkDcNSzMTiUB_2n2u69hEFb4M0x1q6jGXS8yI2Eq2AtzDxIS3Z64gi-FbtLKNVxyFzK4eGEvwWmende2SrBra9BikONO1ItCslJNhuVdgOsZQXQR2qsfKNkziN77DrJ1DNTmOaw=w1378-h913-no

AM-JKLWRWkdNpf0leCbYkCWNKbvmU_fdnQLYgW3bjh9zqzJNRDSDrMowKYJww3PTycFDbgu8tlb1AbO-BgdWjFFs5AbAm4WnViYIVgVOgpqft5fNyYQAUpign2Ih9EshALOLNJNULHZOhRXWZAZBuf8AlAVXcA=w1216-h913-no

AM-JKLVi5Kvto5KAfHZB7x81PXr7nP3TJHaq5FnP1T9fprLyWuxjIC6f5-vMQ1JF4O7q-tgVv8WtAekDHuy7wXkNnQz-htRGPFO2Ze7Wojy3Fn3bHd822mn7VTLlyH1QSEJCGSRDAVNE1zT8EEB9RSu87BSvww=w1560-h878-no

Before we brought in the dirt:

AM-JKLUA9NKDqLBi9WhNYTfSj4rN2_4gmTCkbT_9dGiZ5L6-7CbwMbZslIi9--p0QqQxfeRasu0fHTO_JrYDnPTHKSE_FALs8d35q0f39ttzOTx2H1_I7xPoNuc4lq2t-itovFnMSwRi64kplM9iYk9tR7lJCQ=w1216-h912-no

After we brought in the dirt, we started terracing:

AM-JKLXr-EH7Dmg388IprxADZoxFghXog1v7mzLMu9ern7LhKrBrUWYtMaHDMJjA2qQ88GM06h102L5i9FwQpVvMPWAJBfoHrezYymw5iu6nLtfh9z6rpsnAwSTk15fTmVkolgixPfgJW5HebXsDZmYS8kE-Cg=w1216-h912-no

After some flowers were planted:
AM-JKLURoDp7gUoisQPpyEkiFeUFPS4N0L8x4apmUJisL0WY6Eo1BLW2aagOUoUQUlWizFKHszOnGZFyIQNxno0oamR5wiIfDiwZBnwqCMxfH3InXUJh1WbETMyFVdpdOxLZInlQPZqcBptwSejjb5SDvxZWBw=w1216-h912-no

This summer, figuring out rise and run
:
AM-JKLXtiCz_SqrQJWdfcvHEQZcnrwQLnRphabRocW7S-Shcaf94VsRCBmbcsZ6CNQXD7LzH5gG627Hb7uRY0pVXkDu-QI7apbJJZ6PeHR_ygU_xJQd7mDIKWWzF0EHP6DgRt8H4dGqNq1Lb3LNrTCA94V-tFg=w1216-h912-no

After the stairs were put in:
AM-JKLVH2Ye2PRjLv44EhhrGMNYqvpVVTpwSIsaDOiDZ-YQmQGQpl7uyBcifQbJj73fuolbD0rVMvjlJhxzFGKsa2DpAntvmEzokVuJf1N_VyuRzPLpXkn1KnkeuH3CQG-y93kGoSBJVREeYuuU39y3KirGrpw=w1216-h912-no

AM-JKLWeodPRlT08f8fQuUUKLR_g0h7jyn58-grdTXXXCspTTmRxocXr49nqW8tsKuspPZVf7M5gvKTUw_MX7KR4G6S5f5NCaCQPOHq2gcfMvwfpojBMTmoKvIc7zYye6CMsGBORGIpfX07GeNvozCoJUmjy3Q=w684-h912-no

Then we needed to cut out the tree root, and I figured why not put in a root cellar? The neighbor was having some footers dug, so over came the excavator and I ended up with a good size hole :)
AM-JKLWgkEjw9QefCqeMPzezrYuguOcF2F6649-8CTJ_ZnuU-kzktNInpDA1gYHonMH2i_f17Yuu4-KOyAszvNlJrq9WF7kgUgKV3psdTbPqMVZDUwXgQOYc06nOASeJMKCCr0iYXtSIUPHyGjxfkOvCZqIemA=w684-h912-no

Its going to be 6'x8' and will have a poured footer, and cinderblock walls. Probably a peaked roof, but not quite sure on that one yet.
We are going to tie in a timber retaining wall into the side of it, in front of the garden, and then again on the other side to keep the erosion down and keep the drive that I cut into the hillside from getting taken over. While we were trying to figure out planning, we decided that it might just be easier to put in another root cellar into this hill side!
3mZLGWmPa7jXKc0SsBgGaSjCLaRtosSCxEKfC-ZRUQIVUjI3aWN0OfWzlk8J64pQ8q51TzlWIt-75owLJrZYQ6pJibwBESWi5_utPoJQZo9Qw7i-FBJqiTCiDIQV1QWh7lh2IkkfKWVhOaOhB2Ox8t9C9r0u78YIYDN24E1kD1zxqvrY49CHjMyaB6KBNucQuhYft1y8IHahAFitKs6pFZOusRixJ2Phqh0DcpMZ2PZYTCuhB3bI3cUwi6TyeLXMac30I1BBjGE3qe0YB1wLpU1Qb1L63nIw_KG0zzCkdj5U5OvXAbljC0s0Of4EcI2gJIJwtHIeS-7mzY-ghFgMB2MJkf0xmZv221KUmZ4ZjpJluiiVgLZge2eIEZ9yCY4Q7MiUExzlN9qGYmpIi4du4I_irRFiDiTRalhAyn2nxUG__P_cz7CGpGeGw6lbV5bIBjkYAJSBeghF0vYOsVgk_wrpCfMbyRw9eY4OUr5tRZRjHL4at-RtT-b2KL3p-So9P-29wBU7n7iN4wWoMReqim241JFPEzxJt7X008I8sQ54LacYZyOWLP8Rv3ajZ25cVrxgqvb_Vs9BiPQZxZN4gIPbjKoIWkra0GHECtTf_ObspZ_vdHSw9K6HIvY1aRfikwY_t48QZ2fCqEJJVwzY9G8wq-tyqsOOFobKEo5FSpP64onQt5RqmRB9wuI53AN4OZFXtz0zXveI29mEF5YaT6Y_uw=w1216-h912-no

we had a pool in the yard this year, and will most likely put it back up, so I am going to need to do a little bit more grading and shaping of the hillside. It is going to be a two tiered retaining wall, which will also allow us to backfill a little bit more and eventually get some spiral stairs off of the deck to the back yard. I am debating about doing a smaller 6x6 root cellars and just tie them directly into the retaining wall, then do a roof over it. I figure if I have a tractor and a backhoe for a few hours, I can get most of this dirt moved pretty quickly. I am somewhat limited by where my drive can go do to a sewer line, and I want to keep as much of the yard useable. I could do another set of stairs instead of the drive, but it is nice to be able to get down there and drop off firewood, etc. I will also likely run power to the larger cinderblock cellar, just to have a light and blender (heck, it will be by the pool right?) Any other thoughts on what you might want in a root cellar for those of you who have them?
One will be used for roots veggies, tool storage, etc. The other will be more for storage like a lawn mower, chainsaw, pool in winter, etc.

if you wanted to level that out all the way look for construction projects around your area the bigger the better. They are usually always looking for someone to take the fill that they are excavating out. You can usually get it for free and very cheap per load... Then all you have to do is top it off with clean top soil...

if you wanted to level that out all the way look for construction projects around your area the bigger the better. They are usually always looking for someone to take the fill that they are excavating out. You can usually get it for free and very cheap per load... Then all you have to do is top it off with clean top soil...
I have a buddy doing a construction project right now, and has a big pile of dirt for me. It is mostly where we want it, but just need to fill in a few spots and clean up the grade. I think between the piles of dirt from the root cellars, and the stuff my friend has, I will be good. I am constantly keeping my eyes out for easy ways to get the dirt back there. I can't get a large dump back there any more due to landscaping in the front, so am somewhat limited by the size.

And because this is a stove forum, here is the wood pile, and an actual autumn picture:
AM-JKLWKL3C3Aj8Vrpyyx41UnpiLJl4WZkDhkj6EolYKaMSR3kqbxvmjycOIEu0sAh6jIrFY7sS1AM3He4q7fggMYfSBC-k2i8gKP0An8hx-MsE6hgn1lJfg8rfQILUrW-RRgHGKLFTCY4bw5VdXuXXrGfgd5w=w1560-h561-no

I see a lot of opportunities there for harvesting some sunshine for power but don't see any PV panels. ;)

Great idea the root cellar(s). We've been trying to find a place for one for years.

I see a lot of opportunities there for harvesting some sunshine for power but don't see any PV panels. ;)

Great idea the root cellar(s). We've been trying to find a place for one for years.
you mean these solar panels :D?
AM-JKLU-yMnMtJQtv5PBzEwmEP2qtS4DSywnn3F1AbmFIMRYNxPuSQ6A43b8ou_B5-LvvhbtlGTFDaSvDNJVvxc4UPF0dgtbUtyAs8e5Efji1aP-G6Dz-WgCNrLOQUctF5sue4_fTd-YGBoHZcFZPJtNNQJdwA=w1216-h912-no

We actually have been overproducing on solar for about 2 years, and I was just able to get the local power company to consolidate the meters (the funny thing is the solar is on the garage/apt, but powers the house which was a separate meter) so I can use the excess to pay for the garage electric.

Last edited:
Reactions: semipro
The book “Root Cellaring” is by far the best reference book on the subject. It should be in everyones library who is thinking about cold storage of vegetables.

It's the first book devoted entirely to the subject, and it covers the subject with a thoroughness that makes it the only book you'll ever need on root cellaring.

Root Cellaring will tell you:

* How to choose vegetable and fruit varieties that will store best
* Specific individual storage requirements for nearly 100 home garden crops
* How to use root cellars in the country, in the city, and in any environment
* How to build root cellars, indoors and out, big and small, plain and fancy
* Case histories -- reports on the root cellaring techniques and experiences of many households all over North America

Amazon product ASIN 0882667033

Reactions: semipro and Dobish